Default buying a foreign boat

Can someone help me with this?
I will be traveling from Australia via LA to British Virgin Islands in
November to inspect and hopefully buy a boat. I want to then sail on to
other ports.
The US Visa Waiver Program means I can transit the US if I have an ongoing
ticket - fine. British Virgins has a similar program but I won't have an
ongoing ticket as I will be exiting by boat. It's dificult for me to get to
the British Consulate for an interview and advice on this. Would it be
possible to purchase an ongoing ticket to Dominica or even back to SanJuan
to satisfy the requirements then simply not use it.
Hope someone can help. Time is running out.
Thanks in advance.

tom tom is offline

You understand that given the dollar is so low, you're paying a lot
more
for a foreign boat. Actually those outside the US should be looking to
buy boats here.

On Oct 10, 7:05 am, "JohnM" wrote:
Can someone help me with this?
I will be traveling from Australia via LA to British Virgin Islands in
November to inspect and hopefully buy a boat. I want to then sail on to
other ports.
The US Visa Waiver Program means I can transit the US if I have an ongoing
ticket - fine. British Virgins has a similar program but I won't have an
ongoing ticket as I will be exiting by boat. It's dificult for me to get to
the British Consulate for an interview and advice on this. Would it be
possible to purchase an ongoing ticket to Dominica or even back to SanJuan
to satisfy the requirements then simply not use it.
Hope someone can help. Time is running out.
Thanks in advance.

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
You understand that given the dollar is so low, you're paying a lot
more
for a foreign boat. Actually those outside the US should be looking to
buy boats here.

I think the Yankee dollah is the main currency used in the BVI now..... and
I wonder if he's buying this boat from one of the charter companies...or
from a private individual.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 22:05:02 +1100, "JohnM"
wrote:

Can someone help me with this?
I will be traveling from Australia via LA to British Virgin Islands in
November to inspect and hopefully buy a boat. I want to then sail on to
other ports.
The US Visa Waiver Program means I can transit the US if I have an ongoing
ticket - fine. British Virgins has a similar program but I won't have an
ongoing ticket as I will be exiting by boat. It's dificult for me to get to
the British Consulate for an interview and advice on this. Would it be
possible to purchase an ongoing ticket to Dominica or even back to SanJuan
to satisfy the requirements then simply not use it.
Hope someone can help. Time is running out.
Thanks in advance.

I believe that you need to contact the US embassy and The British
Virgins as you (if all goes well) you will depart as Captain of a
vessel and transit the US as a crew member on a vessel.

Nearly all countries have special regulations for ship's crews,
usually a limited visa stay as long as they depart on the ship.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On 2007-10-10 09:37:57 -0400, "Don White" said:

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
You understand that given the dollar is so low, you're paying a lot
more for a foreign boat. Actually those outside the US should be
looking to buy boats here.

He IS.

I think the Yankee dollah is the main currency used in the BVI now.....
and I wonder if he's buying this boat from one of the charter
companies...or from a private individual.

It is, so the boat is (relatively) cheaper compared to what it would
have seemed in past years.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Tom,

You understand that given the dollar is so low, you're paying a lot
more
for a foreign boat.

Why do you think he'll use US dollars to make this purchase? It does not
sound as if he's a US citizen nor is he traveling from the US.

Dave M

"Don White" wrote in message

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
You understand that given the dollar is so low, you're paying a lot
more
for a foreign boat. Actually those outside the US should be looking to
buy boats here.

I think the Yankee dollah is the main currency used in the BVI now.....
and I wonder if he's buying this boat from one of the charter
companies...or from a private individual.

I have 3 to look at. 2 are ex charter and one is private.

wrote:

I believe that you need to contact the US embassy and The British
Virgins as you (if all goes well) you will depart as Captain of a
vessel and transit the US as a crew member on a vessel.

Nearly all countries have special regulations for ship's crews,
usually a limited visa stay as long as they depart on the ship.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Thanks for your answer Bruce. Perhaps I didn't explain too well. I will only
be transiting the US by air on the way to BVI. I probably won't enter US
waters after I exit BVI. So the US part doesn't seem to be a concern. I see
a potential problem when I fly into BVI without an ongoing or return ticket
and not yet a boat to depart on.

On 2007-10-10 23:55:02 -0400, "JohnM" said:

I see a potential problem when I fly into BVI without an ongoing or
return ticket and not yet a boat to depart on.

I don't believe you'll have a problem. If nothing else, tell them
you're taking the ferry to the USVI, which is a trivial cost.

Check with the folks on the BVI thread of TravelTalkOnLine.com to be sure.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD
Xan's new pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/
Our BVI pages: http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:55:02 +1100, "JohnM"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I believe that you need to contact the US embassy and The British
Virgins as you (if all goes well) you will depart as Captain of a
vessel and transit the US as a crew member on a vessel.

Nearly all countries have special regulations for ship's crews,
usually a limited visa stay as long as they depart on the ship.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Thanks for your answer Bruce. Perhaps I didn't explain too well. I will only
be transiting the US by air on the way to BVI. I probably won't enter US
waters after I exit BVI. So the US part doesn't seem to be a concern. I see
a potential problem when I fly into BVI without an ongoing or return ticket
and not yet a boat to depart on.

Sorry, I misunderstood. In your case I suspect that the easiest way is
to buy the cheapest ticket out of the V.I. and if you find the boat
chuck the ticket.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

buying a foreign boat JohnM ASA 0 October 9th 07 07:59 AM
Flagging a boat in a foreign country jaybird Cruising 39 August 24th 06 02:27 AM
buying a new boat Billy General 9 March 15th 05 01:31 AM
Looking at buying a boat Dan General 5 March 25th 04 02:21 AM
"Chesapeake Bay Boat Buying" followup/Boat search update Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 December 15th 03 09:50 PM