Default What's your (entirely subjective) Favorite Offshore Cruising boat from 35 to 45'?

On 2007-12-21 15:10:44 -0500, kupono said:

I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

#5, "beautiful" is purely subjective, but our admittedly ugly-duckling
Xan (see below) fulfills every other criteria, except that her physical
size is a bit below your specified lower limit.

I don't know a better boat for two for the Chesapeake and Bahamas. More
properly, we haven't found a boat less than 41' that was a material
upgrade from her, and we have been actively looking for the past 15
seasons.

One Hunter 34 struck our fancy, but it required substantial fixes only
a decade into its life. The Cabo Rico 37 looks great, but we can (and
have) sail rings around that crab crusher. Hell, we regularly pass
catamarans under chute. (Xan doesn't cede to any boat under 40', and
will give a good fight to those who are longer.)

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 21, 12:10*pm, kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained *by it.

* * 1. She must be easy to handle.
* * 2. She must be comfortable.
* * 3. She must be seaworthy.
* * 4. She must be fast.
* * 5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

this is the one for me, 86x23x8 Ahhh, no thats a boat. A bit over
priced at $250K. a year or two ago these were going for 180K cause so
many on the market.

http://www.americanmarineyachts.com/..._054_large.jpg

Oh, and so beautiful!
bob
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 21, 12:10*pm, kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained *by it.

* * 1. She must be easy to handle.
* * 2. She must be comfortable.
* * 3. She must be seaworthy.
* * 4. She must be fast.
* * 5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

ANd here is anohter GREAT boat asking price $140K !!!!!!!

http://www.americanmarineyachts.com/..._037_large.jpg
Now wha tcould ya do with 120'???

Pull your head out of your white plastic yacht ass and consider a real
boat!
Bob

On Dec 22, 4:10 am, kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

1. how much u want to spend, the worlds largest freighter is handled
by 13 men only, most of them for cleaning and cooking, automatisation
is the world, it costs

2. how old are u? a mans age in feet boat length is an old rule of
thumb, still comfort levels are something personal, fakirs have a
different lifestyle compared to a princess on a pea.

3. some swear on iron or lead ducks, a hole and they sink, but if they
return after a capsize, they are mostly upright, I believe in
Catamarans, they might end up upside down, and this is how the are
sometimes found, sunken monohulls are mostly not found any more. Both
varieties have seaworthy and less seaworthy examples

4. well, then look into a modern trimaran and do not expect any
comfort, not even paint on the carbon hull. maybe a bucket as toilet.
I went for a balsa/honeycomb cat, 43' 8800lb plus payload 1000sqft
upwind sail

5. well, if all women like the same guy, what will all others do? for
some a tank is beautiful, some love soft lines, some baroque ones ;-)

my last cat was a shangri-la-nova 47', German designer Nissen with
help of a guy (Pieske) cruising around the world for 15 years,
homebuilt but so beautiful someone forced me to sell, even when it was
ten years old, better he would have stolen it, then the insurance
would have paid more. **** happens.

Now after ten years owning a cat I know what I liked, basically the
same, it was a perfect design, just a little heavy, but rock solid.
This one is smaller, much lighter, just fits like a tight jeans, 43'
Schionning design. for me the Australians have some of the best cat
designers when it comes to pleasing lines (Grainger, Lidgaard,
Spirited Design), there might be other good designers too, but I did
not like how the yachts look like.

You write CRUISING, means you spend most of the time at anchorages,
occasionally a passage, living on board. Nothing beats a well designed
Catamaran for that. no rolling, no gimbaled stove, at anchor peaceful,
yes, uphill sometimes noisy, but that is no long fun on a mono either,
but on a cat you still cook when on a mono you secure everything. And
in a marine you live first floor and not in the basement.

My opinion....

Red wrote:
Ansley Sawyer wrote:
I vote for the Camper Nicholson 39 and 40. Center cockpit with
passageway aft, good sea boat, sloop and ketch rigged.

I own one.

Ansley,
I was looking at pictures of those boats and was curious - what's with
the wheel offset to port? In a center cockpit boat I would think a
centerline wheel would make more sense, no? Do you find this arrangement
workable/comfortable/ease of manuvering in port, etc ?
Red

Allows for a wider hallway to the aft cabin.

On Dec 21, 10:20 pm, izibizi wrote:
... This one is smaller, much lighter, just fits like a tight jeans, 43'
Schionning design. for me the Australians have some of the best cat
designers when it comes to pleasing lines (Grainger, Lidgaard,
Spirited Design), there might be other good designers too, but I did
not like how the yachts look like. ...

Schionning's boats are lovely. I got to walk around "Pat's Cat" in
Vanuatu. A sweet boat, but as you say a tight fit. I think she was
48' as built (extended for inboards) and she had less room inside than
my Atlantic 42 (which is small by cruising cat standards). I'm was
raised on the East coast and like a traditional sheer line. The
reverse sheer with large radius is light and can be lovely but it can
also be wet. I think Choi, Newick and White, just to name my
favorates, have drawn some beautiful multis "up over", as it where.

-- Tom.

On Dec 21, 3:01*pm, Michael Porter wrote:
Is it a given that this is supposed to be a sailboat??? *Just so you
know -- there are several power boats that meet your specification.

kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained *by it.

* *1. She must be easy to handle.
* *2. She must be comfortable.
* *3. She must be seaworthy.
* *4. She must be fast.
* *5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot comwww.mp-marine.com

Power boats are welcome, though I'm a sailboat kind of guy. I'd just
like to see personal convictions spread all over this thread. I would
like to see more arguments defending the choices though.

Regards

On Dec 21, 4:08*pm, jeff wrote:
kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained *by it.

* * 1. She must be easy to handle.
* * 2. She must be comfortable.
* * 3. She must be seaworthy.
* * 4. She must be fast.
* * 5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

Why are you insisting on "offshore" in the title, but then simply say
"favorite cruising boat" in the body? *The truth is that the vast
majority of cruising is done in boats that are not generally considered
good offshore boats.

Although I certainly wouldn't argue with the criteria, I find it
interesting the Eddy and Duff don't make an offshore boat, they
specialize is dinghies and daysailers. *As seaworthy as a Stone Horse
may be, it still isn't an offshore boat.

And of course, my boat, a PDQ 36 catamaran, is the ideal cruising boat,
although I don';t think of it as an offshore boat.- Hide quoted text -

Sure, why not. Coastal cruising boats are welcome as well. Just
qualify what kind of cruising your choice is suitable for (in your
opinion). I personally am more interested in offshore capable boats.

Regards

On Dec 21, 11:12*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

I have to say that's one fine looking boat.

On Dec 21, 11:16*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

I could go broke feeding it fuel.