Default What's your (entirely subjective) Favorite Offshore Cruising boatfrom 35 to 45'?

I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

I vote for the Camper Nicholson 39 and 40. Center cockpit with passageway
aft, good sea boat, sloop and ketch rigged.

I own one.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem
CN 39 Ketch

On Dec 21, 10:10 am, kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

I vote for the Atlantic 42; I own one.

-- Tom.

PS. Don't you think everyone is going to list their own boat?
Red Red is offline

Ansley Sawyer wrote:
I vote for the Camper Nicholson 39 and 40. Center cockpit with
passageway aft, good sea boat, sloop and ketch rigged.

I own one.

Ansley,
I was looking at pictures of those boats and was curious - what's
with the wheel offset to port? In a center cockpit boat I would think a
centerline wheel would make more sense, no? Do you find this arrangement
workable/comfortable/ease of manuvering in port, etc ?
Red

On Dec 21, 11:46 am, Dave wrote:
... but most of us
probably know the difference between an "Offshore Cruising Boat" and a boat
that meets our needs.

I think I know what you are saying. But, while most of us probably
_know_ what an offshore cruising boat should be I suspect that many of
us might not _agree_ on it.

Cheers,

-- Tom.

Is it a given that this is supposed to be a sailboat??? Just so you
know -- there are several power boats that meet your specification.

kupono wrote:

I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

Why are you insisting on "offshore" in the title, but then simply say
"favorite cruising boat" in the body? The truth is that the vast
majority of cruising is done in boats that are not generally considered
good offshore boats.

Although I certainly wouldn't argue with the criteria, I find it
interesting the Eddy and Duff don't make an offshore boat, they
specialize is dinghies and daysailers. As seaworthy as a Stone Horse
may be, it still isn't an offshore boat.

And of course, my boat, a PDQ 36 catamaran, is the ideal cruising boat,
although I don';t think of it as an offshore boat.

Marty wrote:

Indeed, CS27s have sailed around the world, done trans-Ats, trans-Pacs,
but I wouldn't make one my first choice for such an endeavor.

Cheers
Marty

I have only two requirements i a larger boat.

Inboard diesel and a wheel for steering...