Bob Bob is offline

Default Buying a boat without sales tax?

On Dec 14, 11:43 pm, ray lunder wrote:
Ahoy, I live in Washington state and am thinking about my first "real"
boat- a blue water cruiser in the $30k-$120k. When I buy a car I pay
something like 8% or if it's a gift or a damaged vehicle or you phoney
up the bill of sale you still pay some arbitrary made up blue book
value the state institutes and which is not insignificant. On a $100k
boat this is $8000. Something tells me rich people don't pay this. So
what's the scam? Foreign registry or forming your own corporation or
what? Sorry to be so clueless. Thanks for your time.

Ya, you Washingtonians are always bragging about your no personal
income tax then turn around and whine bout all the other taxes ie
$2000 to register your new car every year! Down here in Oregon, land
of the NO sales tax, I was paying bout $35 every two years for my
state boat registry. It went up bout when Bush got in office. Now I
pay bout $125every two years.

I bought my boat in Port Townsend, WA. then brought it down to Oregon.
No Wasington Sales Tax if left the state with in ?? days.

I have a nice little room to rent down here if ya want to be an
Oregonian? BUt yad have to get a OR drivers licence to make your
citizenship all leagal. But then yould have to pay Oregon State
Personal income tax along with the IRS Fed cut too.
Living in Oregaon It not a bad deal if your poor and live on mega
yacht...........
By-the-book-Bob

Looks like a lot of people here ought to become Libertarians, or at
least Republicans. In this great country we can change the laws. We
don't need to break them.

Stephen
Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 15, 11:18 am, Stephen Trapani
wrote:
Looks like a lot of people here ought to become Libertarians, or at
least Republicans. In this great country we can change the laws. We
don't need to break them.

Stephen

Replikan???!?! No way............ Born in Oregon and got ggparents
burried 1886 in Oregon. Got a moutain, a lake, and a street named
after the family. Confirmed Democrate and wish Oregon would get a
sales tax. Then give residence a sales tax rebate come April 15th
Maybe Oregon would finaly get all thoes visitors to pay for some of
the services they use with out paying sales tax...... If we had too
many Republicans here it would be like Idaho................ Uh, I
just dont want to go there. Idaho is wrong on too many levels.
bob

Subject

Establish a permanent residence in a non tax state.

Nevada and Wyoming come to mind.

Lew

wrote:
Looks like a lot of people here ought to become Libertarians, or at
least Republicans. In this great country we can change the laws. We
don't need to break them.

Stephen

Replikan???!?! No way............ Born in Oregon and got ggparents
burried 1886 in Oregon. Got a moutain, a lake, and a street named
after the family. Confirmed Democrate and wish Oregon would get a
sales tax. Then give residence a sales tax rebate come April 15th
Maybe Oregon would finaly get all thoes visitors to pay for some of
the services they use with out paying sales tax...... If we had too
many Republicans here it would be like Idaho................ Uh, I
just dont want to go there. Idaho is wrong on too many levels.
bob

If you are a democrat and want to pay more taxes then you are in the
right party for your beliefs.

Stephen

Bob Bob is offline

On Dec 15, 2:09 pm, Stephen Trapani wrote:

If you are a democrat and want to pay more taxes then you are in the
right party for your beliefs.

Na, I think you missed the finer points of my minor rant. I want a
State Sales Tax, just dont want residents to pay it. I want all the
visitors to pay it ("use fee"). Then at the end of the year get a
state tax refund for all the sales tax i payed. But this is sorta way
off topic and rather regional, I applogize.

But evading state sales tax on boats using oregon and other states is
a pretty old story. One of the previous owners of my boat did that....
the owner lived in CA, owned/ran a sailing magizine business located
about Latitude 38 in CA. I found a few old Oregon boat registrations
in the crap still on board. Couldnt figure out how a guy could be a
resident/business owner in CA and have a boat registered in
OR...!?!?! Im sure it was all leagal

Bob

Bob wrote:
On Dec 15, 2:09 pm, Stephen Trapani wrote:

If you are a democrat and want to pay more taxes then you are in the
right party for your beliefs.

Na, I think you missed the finer points of my minor rant. I want a
State Sales Tax, just dont want residents to pay it. I want all the
visitors to pay it ("use fee"). Then at the end of the year get a
state tax refund for all the sales tax i payed. But this is sorta way
off topic and rather regional, I applogize.

If I understand you correctly, you want someone else to pay taxes but
you yourself don't want to pay them. In this case you definitely
shouldn't be a democrat. It's hypocritical isn't it?

Ironically your theory of having out of staters pay your state's
expenses displays the inherent unfairness of mandatory tax policies.
Instead of voluntarily giving to the poor, tax and spenders are forever
looking for ways to steal from someone else to "help the poor."

Stephen
Ed Ed is offline

Nope... It's called a sales and USE tax for a reason... if you use your
boat in a state that has a sales tax btu you bought it in one without OR
with a smaller one.. most have the ablility to tax you on the diff.

Florida is the worst... if you come to a boat show, you have 2 weeks
after the last work is done to get her out of FL. If you move here
from SC you pay the full tax...

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Establish a permanent residence in a non tax state.

Nevada and Wyoming come to mind.

Lew

Ray, just go ahead and pay it. Maybe the rich people don't (but see some of
the stories "Ernest scribbler " has to tell), but think about what they pay
their attorneys. You're talking about a 120K boat, and you're quibbling
about 8? Come on. Show some class here.

Reminds me of those people who buy a new Porsche and then park it half a
mile away at the back of the parking lot so it won't get a scratch on it. If
I could afford to buy a new Porsche, I'd park it wherever I bloody well
pleased and if it got a scratch on it I'd trade it in on a new one.

All that aside, I was in Ensenada, Baja California, a few years back with my
own boat, and I stayed in a new and very nice marina that the locals called
the "Ninety-day yacht club". It was full of brand new boats, that looked to
me like they'd never been out of their slips. Apparently, for California
anyway, if you (1) take delivery of the yacht outside of US territorial
waters, and (2) actually USE the boat someplace outside US territorial
waters during a period of ninety days following the purchase, you can then
"import" it into the US without having to pay state sales tax (in
California, anyway).

A friend of mine tried to do this, staying at that exact marina, but somehow
he screwed up on some tiny detail and ended up having to pay the tax. All
the effort (and expense!) he went to, to try to scam his way out of the tax,
ended up being wasted, and he almost certainly ended up on some sort of tax
"watch list".

Tom Dacon
S/V Bettina
Port Townsend, WA