Dick

Default Cruising with Baby

What does everyone here recommend for life
jackets (does the head support get in the way when lying in a car
seat?) I plan to use a car seat on board, strapped to the boat - but
it is safe to not strap the baby in the car seat?

As a baby my daughter was always a sleep while underway. We left her asleep in
the dinnet with the table down and a net across the front that I made. It was
her play area when she was awake. When she got older she would stay awake
(about two). She would then sit in a car seat that we strapped to the front of
the pedestal in the cockpit. We did not strap her in the seat. For a lifejacket
you need one that will support the head with a float in the back of the head
and straps between the legs. A small kid can fall out the bottom of the jacket
without the straps. When your kid gets old enough, let your kid pick out the
jacket. They have to want to wear it.

Dick

Terry Spragg

kim wrote:
Interesting responses - I have some other questions...

I plan to bring my baby on our boat this summer (baby's due in June)
and when I talk to my husband and family about it they are all quite
set on waiting till the following year. I disagree.

My mother claims 'shaken baby syndrome', my husband claims 'just not
safe', on so on & on. What does everyone here recommend for life
jackets (does the head support get in the way when lying in a car
seat?) I plan to use a car seat on board, strapped to the boat - but
it is safe to not strap the baby in the car seat?

Any other suggestions?

Test the baby life jacket in the tub. Make sure it's face end up,
alway. Try some diaper ballast. We used to ferry our Ken out to the
mooring in a canoe. He seemed to enjoy bashing the pots and pans in
the galley under sail just as much as he did at home.

Evan Gatehouse

"kim" wrote in message
om...
Interesting responses - I have some other questions...

My mother claims 'shaken baby syndrome', my husband claims 'just not
safe', on so on & on. What does everyone here recommend for life

"Shaken baby syndrome" - come on, that's reserved for kids that have been
violently abused. Your mom and husband sound like people looking for a
reason to avoid it. How about this reasoned approach:

- start slowly (1-2 hour daysails only)
- plan in advance (food, toys, car seat, lifejacket, easily accessible
snacks and liquids)
- give it a try for at least 2 times (because the first time might have a
few problems)

jackets (does the head support get in the way when lying in a car
seat?) I plan to use a car seat on board, strapped to the boat - but
it is safe to not strap the baby in the car seat?

Maia was strapped in a car seat when we were sailing. The car seat was
strapped in to the cockpit.

When I put the rail under in 20+ knots of wind in a few gusts my wife
objected, but the baby didn't seem to mind. Kind of grinned . However if
she had not been strapped in, she would have tipped out. I think it's silly
to put a lifejacket on a kid in a car seat. They are just as safe (if not
safer) as if tethered with a safety harness. Have the life jacket on when
you're transferring baby to the dock, in a dinghy, or where common sense
says it's required. I think she was more work this summer, when she was
nearly 2 and lots more mobile!

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Joe Wood

New crew signed on February 13 @ 8:25 am @ 10 lbs and 21.5".

We expect her to be rated AB by age 10.

Skipper and 1st mate standing watch and watch.

Joe Wood

Joe Wood wrote:
We are expecting a blessed event in late February. I'm looking for
information on people's experiences in day sailing, weekend cruising,
and longer cruising with infants and very small children.

Considerations, Gear, Sources, etc.

Joe Wood
jlwood3 at erols dot com