Evan Gatehouse

Default Cruising with Baby

"kim" wrote in message
om...
Interesting responses - I have some other questions...

My mother claims 'shaken baby syndrome', my husband claims 'just not
safe', on so on & on. What does everyone here recommend for life

"Shaken baby syndrome" - come on, that's reserved for kids that have been
violently abused. Your mom and husband sound like people looking for a
reason to avoid it. How about this reasoned approach:

- start slowly (1-2 hour daysails only)
- plan in advance (food, toys, car seat, lifejacket, easily accessible
snacks and liquids)
- give it a try for at least 2 times (because the first time might have a
few problems)

jackets (does the head support get in the way when lying in a car
seat?) I plan to use a car seat on board, strapped to the boat - but
it is safe to not strap the baby in the car seat?

Maia was strapped in a car seat when we were sailing. The car seat was
strapped in to the cockpit.

When I put the rail under in 20+ knots of wind in a few gusts my wife
objected, but the baby didn't seem to mind. Kind of grinned . However if
she had not been strapped in, she would have tipped out. I think it's silly
to put a lifejacket on a kid in a car seat. They are just as safe (if not
safer) as if tethered with a safety harness. Have the life jacket on when
you're transferring baby to the dock, in a dinghy, or where common sense
says it's required. I think she was more work this summer, when she was
nearly 2 and lots more mobile!

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)