Default Cruising with Baby

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:51:48 GMT, Argonauta
wrote:

Congrats!!!

Our son is now 10 years old and spent several years of his childhood
cruising Mexico and our local islands off the coast of Southern
California.

We are contemplating this lifestyle change and have a 2 1/2 year old.
Swimming lessons will commence shortly G.

Thanks for a very positive report. We also went the 'netted off
V-berth", lashed car seat and modified PFD route. This year I am
putting in deck jacklines so Junior can wander safely to the foredeck
with me.

R.

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:15:35 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

Most people around here who have a boat, then a baby, see the boat maybe
once or twice over the next year or two before they sell it. YMMV.

That's how we got our boat, from a couple who sold it to me because
their 6 and 4 year olds "didn't like sailing".

Well, not to go all Nazi on the topic, but my kid doesn't get a vote
on that topic. Sailing is what we do, and he's part of the package
until he's 16 and can be trusted to stay ashore without burning down
the house. My wife and I will make his stay aboard as pleasant as we
can, but there is no way we aren't going because he may not like it.

Part of that logic means giving him lots of "jobs" on board so that he
feels responsible and engaged while we sail. Even a two-year-old can
wipe down cockpit seats, swab decks and "tidy up", something he does
spontaneously if not very effectively at home. The fact that it's not
really "help" is irrelevant: it's his shot at getting involved and
getting praise for being "helpful crew", just like staying put while
we dock or jibe is part of HIS routine aboard.

If you are willing to endure moments of unpopularity and occasional
fits of protest, parenting becomes much easier. Children should have
choices over the small stuff: squash or carrots, sweetie? not over
vegetables are going to be eaten at all.

Anyway, enough lecturing...

R.

Joe Della Barba

Our boy was born 6/6/01 and by October had spent 10% of his entire
life (well, life after delivery anyway) aboard our boat. Infants are
easy. Wait unitl he is two and learns to do things like turn the
engine off!
Some things to think about:
You are now a single-hander. One person operates the boat and one
takes care of the baby. You need to be very flexible in your plans.
That 20 mile beat into 25 knots is no longer a good idea, if it ever
was. Short trips and plenty of shore time will keep everyone happy. A
good dinghy is essential. We have a 10' RIB and it is a Godsend for
carriage is great for shore trips. Most of all - have fun! The human
race survived thousands fo years without heat or air-conditioning.
Babies aren't all THAT fragile, just keep the little guys from getting
sunburned unless listening to them cry all night is your idea of fun.
Joe
For sailing baby pics, go to http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/ and
scroll all the way down.

Joe Della Barba

Almost forgot:
A portable DVD or VCR will do wonders to let babies watch Baby
Einstein or whatever they watch at home. Something familiar for them.

Joe

Evan Gatehouse

"Keith" wrote in message
Most people around here who have a boat, then a baby, see the boat maybe
once or twice over the next year or two before they sell it. YMMV.

Keith

Hmmm, our daughter lived aboard until she was 1 year old and went sailing a
fair bit with us. We only moved ashore because we were moving to another
coast.

Last summer we were back aboard a San Juan 24 for lots of daysailing and a
week's summer cruise while she was 2. It just depends on your priorities
and what you enjoy. Kids are remarkably adaptable, if you give them 1/2 a
chance.

Lots of dedicated boat toys is my main suggestion (things that they have
never seen before). Set up the boat for singlehanding once they get into
crawling/walking so that one person can take care of kid and one can handle
the boat.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)