Default Cruising with Baby

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:15:35 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

Most people around here who have a boat, then a baby, see the boat maybe
once or twice over the next year or two before they sell it. YMMV.

That's how we got our boat, from a couple who sold it to me because
their 6 and 4 year olds "didn't like sailing".

Well, not to go all Nazi on the topic, but my kid doesn't get a vote
on that topic. Sailing is what we do, and he's part of the package
until he's 16 and can be trusted to stay ashore without burning down
the house. My wife and I will make his stay aboard as pleasant as we
can, but there is no way we aren't going because he may not like it.

Part of that logic means giving him lots of "jobs" on board so that he
feels responsible and engaged while we sail. Even a two-year-old can
wipe down cockpit seats, swab decks and "tidy up", something he does
spontaneously if not very effectively at home. The fact that it's not
really "help" is irrelevant: it's his shot at getting involved and
getting praise for being "helpful crew", just like staying put while
we dock or jibe is part of HIS routine aboard.

If you are willing to endure moments of unpopularity and occasional
fits of protest, parenting becomes much easier. Children should have
choices over the small stuff: squash or carrots, sweetie? not over
vegetables are going to be eaten at all.

Anyway, enough lecturing...

R.