Joe Della Barba

Default Cruising with Baby

Our boy was born 6/6/01 and by October had spent 10% of his entire
life (well, life after delivery anyway) aboard our boat. Infants are
easy. Wait unitl he is two and learns to do things like turn the
engine off!
Some things to think about:
You are now a single-hander. One person operates the boat and one
takes care of the baby. You need to be very flexible in your plans.
That 20 mile beat into 25 knots is no longer a good idea, if it ever
was. Short trips and plenty of shore time will keep everyone happy. A
good dinghy is essential. We have a 10' RIB and it is a Godsend for
carriage is great for shore trips. Most of all - have fun! The human
race survived thousands fo years without heat or air-conditioning.
Babies aren't all THAT fragile, just keep the little guys from getting
sunburned unless listening to them cry all night is your idea of fun.
Joe
For sailing baby pics, go to http://www.dellabarba.com/sailing/ and
scroll all the way down.