Parallax

Default Cruising with Baby

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
Our baby was on board at 10 days old (in August), however for the remainder of
the first season we only took her out with a very experienced crew.

That winter she took the swimming for infants class at the "Y" she has since
become "water baby" with no fear of the water.

The following several summers she stayed mainly in a car seat lashed in the
cockpit under the dodger. The forward bunk acquired a "door" so it turned into
a crib; parents were forced to sleep in the main cabin. Our boat then was a
Nonsuch 30 which has a large, deep, secure cockpit. With that and full netting,
we never worried about her falling overboard. You'll find there is no good
infant PFD, but as early as you can, get them used to wearing a PFD when
necessary. Also, make sure you have a good, lightweight stroller. The big
heavy ones have their place, but if you want to do dinghy/launch trips with the
little one, you have to use minimal gear. And you'll discover interesting
things, like diapers are great for changing the oil filter on your diesel!

For toys, the normal stuff is good, but you'll want water and beach toys.
Amelia spent a lot of time playing with a bucket of water in the cockpit. Which
reminds me, make sure you acquire proper submersible gear - its a bummer when
you find your VHF in the bottom of the bucket. Also, we had a TV/VHF combo;
nowadays a DVD player might get more use.

When she was 3 we bought a catamaran, partly because the level sailing is so
child safe. Also, the immense amount of space, below, in the cockpit, and
especially forward on the trampoline was greatly appreciated. Of course,
everyone got their own cabin! We spent a year doing the ICW & Keys when she was
5. Now the big cat is overkill for simple summer cruising, but the space is
still appreciated.

--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"The sea was angry that day, my friend. Like an old man trying to send back soup

"Joe Wood" wrote in message
We are expecting a blessed event in late February. I'm looking for
information on people's experiences in day sailing, weekend cruising,
and longer cruising with infants and very small children.

Considerations, Gear, Sources, etc.

Joe Wood
jlwood3 at erols dot com

10 days old and sailing, ok our daughter got you beat, she was 7 days
old.

Best thing we ever did with our kids when sailing was to partially
flood the cockpit under the bimini and they played for hours. We
cooled our feet in it.

All went well till our third who is amazingly hyperactive and also
doesnt sleep. The first two were so little trouble we didnt expect
this problem. One night we anchored and she slept on the main cabin
setee. About 6:00 am, I woke thinking "Somethings wrong", poked my
head out of the v-berth and there was no sign of 2 yr old Katie. Ran
out naked into the cockpit, and she was over the stern standing on the
boarding ladder. Pointing to the water as she saw me she said
"Hishies down dere". Next night she slept with us and we also put
every pot and pan on the companionway steps as an alarm.
Joe Wood

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice.

Joe Wood

Joe Wood

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and advice.

Joe Wood

Keith

Most people around here who have a boat, then a baby, see the boat maybe
once or twice over the next year or two before they sell it. YMMV.

--

Keith
__
"Joe Wood" wrote in message
We are expecting a blessed event in late February. I'm looking for
information on people's experiences in day sailing, weekend cruising,
and longer cruising with infants and very small children.

Considerations, Gear, Sources, etc.

Joe Wood
jlwood3 at erols dot com

Argonauta

How sad for them to miss some of the most rewarding discovery
opportunities with their child. What better classroom than nature
herself. Who better to share the experience with than those who love
the child most.

Keith wrote:
Most people around here who have a boat, then a baby, see the boat maybe
once or twice over the next year or two before they sell it. YMMV.

Jonathan

As you can see by the responses above yours, that is hardly a typical
experience. If you have an unwilling mate to begin with, perhaps, but
then the boat was probably an issue already.

*Everything* you do with a child around for the first 5-6 years requires
a fair amount of additional planning, but the alternative is to stay at
home, in a rut, until they are old enough to understand there are some
dangers in life.

David Martin and his wife Jaja brought their three children home to a
boat, and the kids didn't live on land full time until the oldest was
about 5-6, and that was about a year while he was refitting another boat.

In fact I would recommend the original poster to check out "the Martin
chronicles on SetSail.com, the Dashews site, it's well worth the read.

Jonathan

Keith wrote:
Most people around here who have a boat, then a baby, see the boat maybe
once or twice over the next year or two before they sell it. YMMV.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:51:48 GMT, Argonauta
wrote:

Congrats!!!

Our son is now 10 years old and spent several years of his childhood
cruising Mexico and our local islands off the coast of Southern
California.

We are contemplating this lifestyle change and have a 2 1/2 year old.
Swimming lessons will commence shortly G.

Thanks for a very positive report. We also went the 'netted off
V-berth", lashed car seat and modified PFD route. This year I am
putting in deck jacklines so Junior can wander safely to the foredeck
with me.

R.