Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Ping Peggie

Peggie Hall wrote:
Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
Did I read that correctly...urine will destroy an aluminum holding tank?

Yep. It'll destroy ANY metal holding tank, even 316 stainless.

Bummer...my Father just had one made for his trawler. Any way to
prevent this?

Nope. But it's not gonna suddenly disintegrate. The average lifespan of
any metal waste tank is about 10 years. Typically, it'll start to leak
at a weld in seam or fitting within about 2 years...and turn into a
colander in about 10 years.

So you might want to tell him not to panic...it'll be ok for the next
few years. Just keep an eye--and his nose--on it. And tell him not to
bother repairing the first leak...'cuz the first one is always ONLY the
FIRST one. The time to replace it with a good quality thick walled
plastic tank is after it springs te first leak. Till then, he can relax.

Any chance coating the inside with an epoxy coating will help extend
the lifespan? In commercial ships black water tanks ARE often built
into the hull of the ship as integral steel tanks.

Though I'm not fond of the practice myself, sometimes the tanks are
2000 - 3000L and plastic tanks of that size are a bit bulky to fit
into an engine room...

Evan Gatehouse

Ping: Peggie Hall RG Cruising 3 May 1st 06 08:30 PM
Ping Peggie OdorSafePlus Skip Gundlach Cruising 4 February 11th 06 01:20 PM
Ping: Peggie Hall RG General 2 March 20th 04 07:27 PM
For Peggie IamAeolus Cruising 23 August 27th 03 06:07 PM
Thanks Peggie! Cindy Ballreich Cruising 8 July 30th 03 05:17 PM