Rosalie B.

Default What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

x-no-archive:yes (CapriciousD) wrote:

(CapriciousD) wrote in message . com...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Thanks for the help guys, but those won't work. He already has a
Wooden Boat subscription - since the early 80's I believe, my mother
and I bought him a belt sander last year and he wants to build a boat,
but can't find a large enough space nor time gap between traveling.

Thanks for the ideas, but are there other options that would be just
as good. Books, different tools, or just boats that he may be
interested in building or looking at.

OK, here are some other ideas:

Magazines - Good Old Boat, Ocean Navigator, or Home Power

If it won't make him even more frustrated at not having time, you
might consider Latitudes and Attitudes.

Books - (looking around our cabin) - Living Aboard on a Small Income
(they built their 2nd or 3rd boat), Good Old Boat, North to the Night,
Time on Ice, Passages South, the Cost Conscious Cruiser, the 12 volt
Bible, Storm Tactics, Boating Weather, The Complete Book of Anchoring,
etc. There's also a book called (I think) Boat Watch or something
like that that has specs and floor plan and sail outlines of about a
zillion different boats. And again - if it won't make him too
frustrated, the books by Tom Neale are a good read and also the
stories of circumnavigations by people like Sir Francis C. Or even
the Hornblower books if he doesn't have them.

grandma Rosalie
Padeen

Default The gift of a lifetime...

David,

You want to give him the most special thing a kid can do for his dad? Give
him the gift of time!

How to do that? He's likely slaving away right now at a job to earn money
to pay for YOUR college education. Get the best grades you can possibly
get! Be aggressive about searching out scholarships, grants, and the best
deals for your future. Free him from the job of paving the way for you by
taking that job on yourself. Then he will have the time to build his dream
boat and also the time to sail it to wherever he wants. And you can go
along for the free ride.

Lots of luck, David

Padeen

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks again

Dave

James

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

However many clamps i manage to accumulate over my lifetime, I will Never
have enough.
buy him a good quality large G clamp. maybe one with extra wide throat.. he
wont use it often... but when he does.... he will remember fondly where it
came from.

Larry W4CSC

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:59:02 GMT, "Padeen"
wrote:

David,

You want to give him the most special thing a kid can do for his dad? Give
him the gift of time!

Geez. I thought you were going to go to college and bring ol' Dad
back a co-ed!

Nuts.......

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Marty

Dave:
Find some plans for an 8 foot pram style boat. Clear out a 9 foot x 8
foot space somewhere, give your dad that.

That's what I'd want.

Jim