Trainfan1

Default What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.
Thanks in advance
Dave

How about a Glen-L Catalog...

Rob
*
*
*

Glenn Ashmore

As he is just looking and not building I suggest The Worlds Best
Sailboats by Franc Mate.

If he is building, get him some clamps. Clamps are always a safe bet
for presents to boatbuilders. I have almost 100 clamps but could always
use a few more. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Backyard Renegade

(CapriciousD) wrote in message . com...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Dude, listen to Gould. You will be on your way soon and could be half
way around the world in no time. My daughter just left to teach
English in Osaka! Way cool. Anyway, build a quick boat with your dad.
Understand that with the epoxy and mixing tools available today,
anyone can build a boat, with very basic tools and skills. There are
any number of plans available out there for anywhere from 50 bucks, to
free that are designed specifically for the first time builder, here
are a few to start with:
http://smallboats.com/iras_plans.htm
http://smallboats.com/plans.htm
http://www.instantboats.com
Any of the books by Dynamite Payson would make a great gift and I bet
Dynamite would be able to get it to you by Christmas if you call him
today. The book "Build the New Instant Boats" would make a great gift
for any boat lover and includes plans for six small boats along with
all the info needed to build them, along with a very colorful read
from a "down east" point of view. Payson himself is quite a character,
he sells the book for 20 bucks, I think it would make a perfect gift
for your dad.
Any of the boats above can be easily built in a garage or backyard,
with mostly general handyman type tools, for less than 200 bucks, in
about 40-50 hours, and the biggest thing is they can be built, an hour
or two here and there over a period of time depending on your
schedual!
A set of plans or the above mentioned book and a commitment to spend a
couple of hours a week with your dad would be the best boat related
gift you could give him. I am sure most here would agree. Of course,
most of us are boat builders .
Anyway, all of my daughters have cut their teeth early building simple
boats with me in the yard, they learn a lot and grow, I get a boat to
take them or my buddies fishin' with, some of our best memories are
related to the boats we have built together, everybody is happy. Did I
mention, I get a boat!
Scotty from SmallBoats.com Merry Christmas all.

Marty S.

Take a look at his tools. See which ones are the most beat up and get a
replacement from Home Depot or Lowe's (or wherever). On one hand, if they
are the most beat up, he uses them the most and really likes/needs them so
he might not want/need a replacement since he's so comfortable with the old
tool. On the other hand, he could take it back to the store for something
that he really needs/wants or has always wanted. The "thought" is what
counts -- as a father of several teenagers, any gift related to his interest
or hobby is a good thing. It shows him that you know something about him.

And, hold onto the receipt and give him the "narrative" of why you got it
for him ("Dad, I saw that your hand saws were really pitted and dull, so I
thought you could use a couple new ones.") and then follow it up with a
disclaimer, ("But I didn't know exactly what you need or could use for your
boat building, so these saws are returnable to Home Depot. If you do return
them, I'd really like to come with you and help you pick out something
useful so that next year I could do this again!".... and then finish the
conversation with, "... and I'll buy lunch, Dad".

Trust me.. as the father of teenagers... he'll remember this Xmas forever.

Good luck.. let us know how it goes!!!

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes (CapriciousD) wrote:

(CapriciousD) wrote in message . com...
My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Thanks for the help guys, but those won't work. He already has a
Wooden Boat subscription - since the early 80's I believe, my mother
and I bought him a belt sander last year and he wants to build a boat,
but can't find a large enough space nor time gap between traveling.

Thanks for the ideas, but are there other options that would be just
as good. Books, different tools, or just boats that he may be
interested in building or looking at.

OK, here are some other ideas:

Magazines - Good Old Boat, Ocean Navigator, or Home Power

If it won't make him even more frustrated at not having time, you
might consider Latitudes and Attitudes.

Books - (looking around our cabin) - Living Aboard on a Small Income
(they built their 2nd or 3rd boat), Good Old Boat, North to the Night,
Time on Ice, Passages South, the Cost Conscious Cruiser, the 12 volt
Bible, Storm Tactics, Boating Weather, The Complete Book of Anchoring,
etc. There's also a book called (I think) Boat Watch or something
like that that has specs and floor plan and sail outlines of about a
zillion different boats. And again - if it won't make him too
frustrated, the books by Tom Neale are a good read and also the
stories of circumnavigations by people like Sir Francis C. Or even
the Hornblower books if he doesn't have them.

grandma Rosalie