CapriciousD

Default What is best Christmas present for an avid boat admirer?

My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for
Christmas (who is a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many
boats in his time. First he ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his
brother. But he is older now and he wants badly to build a boat for
our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to know what the
best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get
sweeter than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:24:38 +0000, CapriciousD wrote:

My name is David.
I am 16 years old and I want to know what to get my father for Christmas (who is
a nut when it comes to boats). He has built many boats in his time. First he
ever built was a Sunfish 14' with his brother. But he is older now and he wants
badly to build a boat for our family, but doesn't find the time. I just want to
know what the best gift could be to someone who bellieves Zuzuki makes the best
outboard, the Nonsuch is the Goddess of sailboats and life doesn't get sweeter
than a Mercury BigFoot.

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Other answers are VERY good. I'll point out that the most useful tool I've had
building stich'n'glue boats is a belt sander. If he doesn't have one, it's a
Good Toy. Makes your curves fair, and eases all the sanding required on these
kinda boats.

Lloyd

Chris

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...
Thanks in advance
Dave

Books on boatbuilding he doesn't already have, in the style of the boats he
likes.

A "gift certificate" at a lumber yard or fiberglass company. Assuming they
give those out? Boatbuilding materials, tools, paints, just about anything
related in construction could be a benefit he'd enjoy having.

A study plan/drawing or two might be good.

Things "nautical" in general, such as a boarding cutlass (sword), bos'un
whistle, binnacle compass, seafaring clothing, etc..

Something really nice (depending on your own level of skill/desire), build
or have built over the year a boat, presenting it to him on Christmas or on
his birthday, or other special day. Imagine the look on his face perhaps
blindfolded, led out to his very own boat built by family who care for him
and his hobby.

I know, it's last-minute, but some of these (especially the last one) would
be great for next year. ;-)

Trainfan1

"CapriciousD" wrote in message
om...

Any suggestion please reply to this or e-mail me directly.
Thanks in advance
Dave

How about a Glen-L Catalog...

Rob