Default Does help help?

On Aug 14, 3:41 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
wrote

(some common sense)

Finally, some sanity. Thanks, Todd.

I think a trace back through this thread by the uninvolved would show the
common newsgroup dynamic of always jumping to demonstrate the other person
wrong than actual analysis of vessel management issues. Put these things in
other contexts and there wouldn't be much debate. ...

Sorry Roger, I thought from your OP that you were concerned about
****ing off the BFF and wanted advise on how to avoid that. I think
Joe's advise is pretty good if you put some value on avoiding a
conflict. I use the distract and thank method often. No doubt there
are dangers to it and if the jerk puts your bow line on the stern
cleat and snubs it up hard you'll get a chance to see how your
reaction times are holding up. On the other hand if you work with the
BFF and can talk him through what you were attempting to do and how
you would have liked him to work with you then you will be impressing
the BFF with your skill and understanding, perhaps teaching him
something that will help you and the folks who follow in your wake and
perhaps making the society of your docks a little less poisonous...
You can't do any of that if you chase him off.

However, If you just need a belly rub then be assured that you are
perfectly within your rights to tell the guy to f-off. Initially this
will make your life easier because you are right, sometimes help
doesn't help. The result is unlikely to be a love fest though.

-- Tom.

wrote:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:44:13 -0400, Rosalie B.

On 2007-08-12 21:06:01 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

Almost every time I come in now, I can count on seeing a large friendly
fellow walking towards my slip to heave heroically on the top of the
lifeline stanchions to keep the boat from getting close enough that I
can step off instead of jumping or to heave the bow line so tight that
I can't bring the stern in.

boat last week.

http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasle...fterisabel.jpg

This was a picture of the boat at low tide after hurricane Isabel in
2003. The water is still up about 18 inches (knee level) over the
dock. You can just about see the white edges of the dock through the
water and you can't see the finger pier at all. We had taken the
bimini down, but not the sails. The boat that was next to us had been
hauled. I waded out to the boat to see if everything was OK and took
this picture.

Nice looking boat. How do you like the behind the mast furling system?

Thanks - the OP put it on because his wife didn't like the sail coming
down on her. I didn't think I would like it, but I've changed my
mind. We like it a lot. It isn't trouble free, but it is pretty
close, and if we have trouble it isn't too hard to fix it - everything
is out where you can see it.

One problem we have is that I am not strong enough to pull out or
bring in any of the sails except the staysail.

I built a similar system on my boat several years ago and wouldn;t be
without it now. I've got all lines rigged to the cockpit with a
smallish two speed winch to help pull on things when needed.

We have all the lines to the cockpit also.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

"Joe" wrote

If in a slip I'd yell to the BFF ..Hey buddie, run around to the
other side please...then ignore him till you tossed the last line to
him.

Hey Joe, that's a terrific suggestion. See, if you keep batting these
things around you'll eventually come up some really excellent ideas and
advice.

Thanks,

--
Roger Long

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:43:25 +0000, Larry wrote:

Charleston City Marina, Charleston, SC.
If you got one of those wimpy AC power connectors, be sure to bring the
big adapters. 200A? No problemo...(c

I've been there, absolutely a first class marina. There should be
more like it.

Don't let the name fool you. The City of Charleston, run by Joe Riley,
owner of Riley & Company, a real estate tycoon, handed the marina over
for a pittance to The Beach Company, one of his buddy's real estate
companies, who now owns/runs it for maximum profit. It IS a very nice
marina but is not connected in any way with the City of Charleston any
more, dispite its name. I was under the impression Beach just ran it for
the city like they do the condo biz, but found out recently this is not
true. Typical America....crime and corruption.

These *******s keep calling me so I'm feeding them to the spambots.
--
Sunrise Communications
1374 E. Republic Rd.