Default Does help help?

Roger Long wrote:

I like to stop three inches off and ...

RODLOL - Rolling on Dock Laughing out LOUD

personally I like to stop 2 and 9/16ths off...any more and I'm afraid I'll look like a putz in front
of the cognoscenti...and as Fernando said "It's much better to look good than to feel good".

"the_bmac" wrote

personally I like to stop 2 and 9/16ths off...

Are you sure that's wise? That extra 7/16 ths is a vital safety margin and
could be the difference between an impressive landing and a long scratch in
the gel coat. The gel coat is only about 1/16 inch thick, you know.

--
Roger Long

Salem police said a case of "boat rage" over the weekend prompted them to
file attempted murder charges against a Danvers, Mass., man who officers
arrested Sunday.

Ronald J. Phillips, 53, of 57 River St., Danvers, was arraigned on a host of
charges in Salem District Court on Monday.
Witnesses said Phillips' pontoon boat twice rammed a black motorboat at the
approach to the ramp of the former Kernwood Marina on the Danvers River and
men on board both crafts got into a fight.

"When he spotted Mr. Silva, the witness accounts are that he screamed, 'I'm
going to kill you.' And at that point, rammed his pontoon boat at Mr.
Silva's (boat)," said Assistant Harbormaster Steve Levesque.

"And then he rammed him, and then he drove the boat up over him," witness
Brenda Watson said. "I thought he was going to kill the guy."

A man in the motorboat, identified as Manny Silva, 45, of 13 Clifton Ave.,
Salem, suffered bite marks and his boat was damaged.

After the scuffle, officials said, Phillips left, taking his pontoon boat
down the Danvers River. He was apprehended by the Beverly harbormaster and
his pontoon boat was taken back to McCabe Marina.

"I am really shocked at this. It is completely blown out of proportion. My
husband and Manny Silva have been friends from many years," Katharine
Phillips said.

In addition to a charge of attempted murder, Phillips was arraigned on two
counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon -- a pontoon boat.

"This is ridiculous to hold him without bail based on the facts you heard
and his record -- when he can clarify the record and they don't have the
intent to show attempted murder," said defense attorney John Morris.

Phillips also faced charges of malicious destruction of property valued at
more than $250; simple assault and battery; operating a motorboat
negligently on a public waterway and failing to report a boat accident to
law enforcement officers.

====

From what I hear, Mr Phillips was mad because Mr Silva wanted to help him
with his mooring/dock lines...

=========

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Our new marina dock is much friendlier than the one last year. It isn't
the people so much as it is that there are people. Last year, we were in
the land of boats that never go out. The boats don't get much more use
where we are now but the people are there nearly every night emptying beer
cans, grilling, and enjoying their bit of waterfront.

Almost every time I come in now, I can count on seeing a large friendly
fellow walking towards my slip to heave heroically on the top of the
lifeline stanchions to keep the boat from getting close enough that I can
step off instead of jumping or to heave the bow line so tight that I can't
bring the stern in.

Tonight, I was coming in with my son and one of his friends standing on
each side of the rail gate. We'd had an exhilarating sail and they were
in the mood to participate and let me talk them through the process.
Actually, there isn't much process at the new slip where current, wind,
and prop walk all align nearly as favorably as they did fiendishly at last
year's slip from hell. I motor in, stop the boat, step off, tie the
lines. Why the neighbors haven't noticed this by now and still insist on
rushing over to crack the gelcoat around my stanchion bases is just one of
life's mysteries.

Anyway, there was one of the BFF's "Big Friendly Fellows", walking quickly
towards our slip. "Thanks,", I called, "We're all set." He stopped and
turned back. I turned my attention back towards the side of the boat. I
like to stop three inches off and it was a little hard to judge with two
large teenagers in the way. When I was about to put the boat in reverse
and looked up, there was the BFF standing right by the bow cleat. I knew
the boys were going to defer to him and flub my instructions so I said
again, "THANKS, We're all set. I want to talk them through it."

The boat stopped but he didn't. He grabbed the bow line as the boys
stepped off. I said again, "THANKS VERY MUCH. WE'VE GOT IT!"

He dropped the bow line in the water and went stalking off. I realized he
was angry. He shouted back over his shoulder as he left, "That's the way
we do things here. We're a friendly bunch and we help each other out."
Well, some days you just can't help being an asshole, (me, I mean). I
guess he won't be helping me again.

By this time of course, the boys, distracted by the exchange, had
completely lost track of the program. I grabbed the last foot of dockline
just before the bow swung into the next boat. Things were happening too
quickly now to get the boys engaged so they just ended up standing around
watching me tie up, again.

I was a drug counselor in a former lifetime and still remember one of the
books that was in the center. The title was, "Does Help, Help?" Good
question.

(Boy Rosalie, does that story about your fandango when the helper cast off
the line prematurely ever resonate.)

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message

"the_bmac" wrote

personally I like to stop 2 and 9/16ths off...

Are you sure that's wise? That extra 7/16 ths is a vital safety margin
and could be the difference between an impressive landing and a long
scratch in the gel coat. The gel coat is only about 1/16 inch thick, you
know.

--
Roger Long

I must be lousy at docking. I give myself 3.125 inches off the dock when I
stop with my boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
[...]

From what I hear, Mr Phillips was mad because Mr Silva wanted to help him
with his mooring/dock lines...

=========

At least he didn't bite the boat.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 13, 4:14 pm, "Roger Long" wrote:
"Joe" wrote the following stuff that I replied to
while waiting for a call back from Ms. Manners

Yes it is, but why compound the problem with a bad attitude. Perhaps
he mistakenly thought you were about to scratch your gel coat and
wanted to be your hero.

Depends on your tone in declining Roger.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to deal with you except in a newsgroup where I
can decide when I feel like a ****ing contest

I'm sorry you see it as a ****ing contest Roger.

Why would you jump to the bad attitude conclusions? There must have been
dozens of times this summer that I've called out the same thing and the
would be helper has smiled, waved, and gone gratefully back to their beer.
It was the other fellow who was behaving differently this time.

Yes, but his intentions were good, and he left with a grudge.

Many on the dock now know I like the satisfaction and practice of doing it
(blah blah blah).

Well seems like one BFF did not know it.

Most equipment I have aboard that starts with the word "life" has to
be the best maintained equipment aboard my vessel. If I have any
question as to its sea-worthyness I stop everything else and focus on
getting that right. Half assed is not good enough.

And Larry , who also jumped to the conclusion that the lifelines (wires
replaced this year) must be junk because I don't want people heaving on
them:

Geeze Roger I could care less if people lean, heave or even jump off
the life rails, after all they have the strengthto keep a man from
being washed over if he's thrown into them. I expect that type of
abuse...but I do have a steel hull and SS hand rails.

Another broad conclusion leap. The stanchions are bolted through 3/4 inch
of fiberglass with aluminum backing plates. One is slightly bent so I know
they'll give before they come out of the deck. Part of maintaining any
safety critical structure with the tough engineering geometry of a lifeline
stanchion is not subjecting it unnecessary strains.

You could wrap it in pillows too...Then surely it will last as long
as designed...huh?

I'd like to put larger
backing blocks under them someday, not because I have any worry about their
failing to keep a person aboard, but because I won't have to worry about
dockside helpers and other such things. This is being typed by a designer
of boats, sailboat rigs (up to a 170 foot full rigged ship), and other
marine structures so I slightly resent the implication that I'm sailing
around willing to scatter children and friends randomly across the waters of
the world because I don't understand my stanchion base

Resent it all you want Roger. This is being typed by a USMM who got
his 1600 ton freight and towing masters any oceans at 24 years old. I
have well over 700,000 miles at sea with crews of 2 to 14.

And 170 fter is barely a ship..more of a boat IMO..hel my first boat
over 300 tons was a 220 fter. As a captain who has in times worked for
companies that run crap till it falls apart... I've learned that the
best way to address a weakness is go ahead and destroy it so it has to
be fixed right. If the company or some people have thier way they
would put it off forever....or until someone gets killed or hurt real
bad. I've even dropped a dime to the USCG to report myself.

BTW you are the one who cast doubt into the ability of your lifeline
stancions by having so much grief from a dockflys attempted
assistance. I guess your a lucky fellow..if I had a boat with weak
stancions I'm sure my lovely wife, or some kids would surely find the
fastest way to push them past thier limits.

I'm not joking. You're the Captain and should instruct your crew on
everything you might encounter while docking. I always have a meeting
with new crew and tell each one what I expect (blah blah)

Do you have kids? If I subjected them to a lecture like that before every
short daysail, they would sail with me even less than the do now.

Lecture? Sheeze...... That's a poem Roger . You could read it to them
anytime, better yet just print them a copy. With your engineering
focused mind I'm sure the meaning would be lost in your translation.

That's the problem with you engineer's you have no understanding of
anything you can not put into an equation. If it's not and math
problem, it's a lecture.

I was hoping you would take a hint from the part that says:
" If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too, "

Seems the dock fly who had to butt into your perfect docking
exibition doubted your ability...but you did not make allowances for
his doubting too.

As far as training crew I'd say something like " I'd like you to put
that line on the cleat at the front of the slip stbd side and leave 5
ft of slack and tie it off. Then Ill back down and he can drop his
line on the cleat at the stern as we float in using the boats
wheelwalk to stop and align us pefectly..whtch all the drunks awe in
amazement at our ability to land in style...oh and BTW..If one of the
dockflys trys to stagger over and insist's on helping show him where
to put the line and thank him.

Your
comments make sense for a large vessel starting a cruise. The fact is, I
don't need ANY help or participation in handling this boat.

It makes since on any boat any size boat to discuss what you expect
people to do when you dock or leave...even if it's sit there and do
not move.

I do not need ANY help docking my boat Roger... single handed and
she's a 42 fter. When I come in alone and people see me they all run
to help..and I do not get upset if they get in the way, **** I almost
expect it. And when I have guest aboard I try to find something for
all of them to do.

Any
participation in things like docking and sail handling is strictly for the
guests enjoyment.

Exactly..and if they know how they can help and be crew they enjoy it
more.

Fun sparring with you but I've got to do something more productive.

Your sparring is quite weak Roger, and I feel I'm fencing in vain,that
you may be set in your ways.

Hmm, Ms. Manners never called back. I'll have to send her an email.

Charlies wife?

Joe

--
Roger Long

...If one of the
dockflys trys to stagger over and insist's on helping show him where
to put the line and thank him. ...

Amen! I understand Roger's angst but IMO, this is the best that can
be done.

-- Tom.

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:43:25 +0000, Larry wrote:

Charleston City Marina, Charleston, SC.
If you got one of those wimpy AC power connectors, be sure to bring the
big adapters. 200A? No problemo...(c

I've been there, absolutely a first class marina. There should be
more like it.

On 2007-08-12 21:06:01 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

Almost every time I come in now, I can count on seeing a large friendly
fellow walking towards my slip to heave heroically on the top of the
lifeline stanchions to keep the boat from getting close enough that I
can step off instead of jumping or to heave the bow line so tight that
I can't bring the stern in.

We avoid that by having the dock lines on the dock, properly sized with
a spliced loop: Drop and forget. Main one, of course, is the aft spring
which will keep us off the dock under full power (or a storm's winds).
That one's mine, as when it's made, I can put the bow anywhere I want.
We've been accused of having a bow thruster.

Lets us get in quickly enough that the dockmates can't stumble their
way *to* us in time enough to help ;-)

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

They found a body floating in the marina early yesterday morning. Maybe
someone else turned down help with their docklines.

--
Roger Long