Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Does help help?

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
news:%17wi.3748$r14.1556@trndny06...
Salem police said a case of "boat rage" over the weekend prompted them to
file attempted murder charges against a Danvers, Mass., man who officers
arrested Sunday.

Ronald J. Phillips, 53, of 57 River St., Danvers, was arraigned on a host
of charges in Salem District Court on Monday.
Witnesses said Phillips' pontoon boat twice rammed a black motorboat at
the approach to the ramp of the former Kernwood Marina on the Danvers
River and men on board both crafts got into a fight.

"When he spotted Mr. Silva, the witness accounts are that he screamed,
'I'm going to kill you.' And at that point, rammed his pontoon boat at Mr.
Silva's (boat)," said Assistant Harbormaster Steve Levesque.

"And then he rammed him, and then he drove the boat up over him," witness
Brenda Watson said. "I thought he was going to kill the guy."

A man in the motorboat, identified as Manny Silva, 45, of 13 Clifton Ave.,
Salem, suffered bite marks and his boat was damaged.

After the scuffle, officials said, Phillips left, taking his pontoon boat
down the Danvers River. He was apprehended by the Beverly harbormaster and
his pontoon boat was taken back to McCabe Marina.

"I am really shocked at this. It is completely blown out of proportion. My
husband and Manny Silva have been friends from many years," Katharine
Phillips said.

In addition to a charge of attempted murder, Phillips was arraigned on two
counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon -- a pontoon boat.

"This is ridiculous to hold him without bail based on the facts you heard
and his record -- when he can clarify the record and they don't have the
intent to show attempted murder," said defense attorney John Morris.

Phillips also faced charges of malicious destruction of property valued at
more than $250; simple assault and battery; operating a motorboat
negligently on a public waterway and failing to report a boat accident to
law enforcement officers.

====

From what I hear, Mr Phillips was mad because Mr Silva wanted to help him
with his mooring/dock lines...