Default Bruce has fallen into the trap.

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:20:25 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Goodness Wilbur you certainly draw some strange deductions from what
you read. I really thing a reading comprehensive course (they do offer
these as adult education courses) would be a great advantage to you.

But just this one last time I'll try to explain the facts of living on
a boat in Asia to you but I'm warning you that if you get it wrong
again you'll just have to remain stupid old Wilbur who's Daddy taught
him not to try to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Poor Bruce P. has fallen into the trap of moving up in his choice of
boats until he's finally ended up in a boat that's too big for him to
handle or afford.

Too big - I've owned this boat for about 10 years and have been
sailing it either single handed or with only my wife for crew for that
entire period.

Can't afford - Actually I own two boats. The forty foot sailboat (for
cruising) and a 35 foot power boat (not a Grand Banks, but similar in
design to one) for short trips, day trips to some of the islands in
Phang Nga Bay, etc. Both paid for in cash I might add.

This is illustrated by the fact Bruce languishes on a marina in
Thailand
when he could be out doing some serious coastal cruising in what many
consider one of the world's premiere cruising grounds. Why does he
languish in a marina? There are probably at least several different
reasons. I'll list a few of the more prominent . . .

Well no, I do not cruise 360 days a year so during the periods I'm in
port I do keep the boats in a Marina. One of the main advantages is
that we have 24 hour a day security so things don't walk away nearly
as quickly as they do when you are anchored out.

1) Boat is too big and cumbersome and draft too deep for coastal
cruising and exploring the local backwaters where all the action takes
place and where all the things worth exploring are.

As I mentioned, I've had this boat for 10 years and during that period
sailed it either single handed or with my wife as crew. We've cruised
both the east and west coasts of Malaysia from Singapore north to the
Thai border and all the islands on both coasts; the west coast of
Thailand and all the islands from the Thai Border to the Myanma
border, and all the islands in Phang Nga bay.

The boat draws 6 feet and for this part of the world is a very nominal
draft. Most of the fishing boats here draw that much.

I'm not sure what you mean by "action" in local backwaters. Frog
gigging?

2) Boat has too many systems that are always breaking down and provide
convenient excuse to stay tied up at the dock.

Other then a complete overhaul on the Perkins 4-107 engine that I did
in Singapore have done no major maintenance on the boat since I owned
it. Oh yes! Sorry, we painted it about five years ago.

3) Bruce is really not cut out for cruising. He's not a strong
individual but somebody who prefers the company of like-minded
(dependent) people, which people also like to sit around their boats
tied to a dock and bull**** about where they'll go next - year after
year while their boats become even more trouble-prone and decrepit.

Well, I suppose I'm not as strong as I once was, after all I'm 75
years old but certainly still active enough to sail. We made a trip
from Singapore to Phuket last September, at the end of the N.E.
Monsoons and will probably plan at least one longish trip, maybe
around the peninsular and up the river to Bangkok, once the rains stop
this year.

4) Too worried about expenses to properly upkeep his vessel. He
probably
never considered how a bigger boat escalates expenses geometrically to
the point he really cannot afford to cruise anymore.

You are correct - I believe that I read that boat expense increase as
a square of the length. But without going into details I can assure
you that I have sufficient where-with-all to keep the boats going.

5) Knows voyaging across oceans is not really a passion of his but
won't
admit it. Grasps at straws for any excuse to stay put.

What's to admit? I recently bought the power boat in Singapore and
brought it back to Phuket on its own bottom. Boats go on the water. If
you want to go somewhere where there is water you just go.

6) Addicted to telephones and Internet connections. Is a landlubber at
heart.

Hubby - do one thing for me. Check the archives and report back how
many posts have been made by you, in your various guises, and how many
have been made by me. Then we can intelligently discuss Internet
addiction.

Hand phones? Yes I own a hand phone - you want to know a secret?
Because hand phone calls in Thailand are cheaper then land line calls
so it makes economic sense to own a hand phone rather then a land
line.

Let this be a lesson to everybody else who's not got a realistic
vision
of what's involved with long-distance voyaging. Furthermore, let it be
lesson in knowing when to throw in the towel and admit voyaging is not
really for you. Few things are more pathetic than 'voyagers' and their
vessels rotting away in marinas.

I certainly agree, let it be a lesson! Come to Thailand and enjoy one
of the most pleasant countries in the world and cruise in some of the
most spectacular waters on God's green earth.

Half a year of rain?? What's so spectacular about that? I'd want out of
there immediately, if not before and sooner than that if possible.
Those mosquitoes probably even carry malaria. And I hear they have bird
flu there too.

Internet addiction? You've probably posted far more than I (Wilbur
Hubbard) have. Just because some idiot people think I'm Capt. Neal
doesn't make it so.

Two boats? And one a power boat. That proves it, you're a dock rat. A
lubber. A voyaging sailor no more. But 75 is getting old, really old.
Too old to safely be voyaging. I think the best sailor ever, old Josh
Slocum, was 75 when he sailed off and was never heard from again. But,
I'll give you some credit for getting out there and doing it while you
could. It's no shame on you for knowing when to toss in the old towel.

And, if you don't know what "action" in the local backwaters means you
really ARE getting too old. ;-)

Six-foot draft is dumb, really dumb. It's a bad compromise. For open
ocean voyaging, eight or ten feet of draft is what it takes. And I bet
your boat has an old-fashioned, inefficient full-length keel with barn
door rudder. Get with it man, real savvy voyagers sail deep fin keel
boats with balanced space rudders. They go about twice as fast as your
old-school design and they go to weather ten to twenty degrees higher
and they go downwind without so much rolling from gunnel to gunnel. For
gunkholing and coastal cruising six feet of draft is dumb too. It's just
too much. Why people sail boats like yours that amount to just another
dumb compromise constantly amazes me considering all the choices one has
these days.

My Swan 68 will sail circles around your whatever? BTW, what is it that
you sail. Errrrr, or should I say, what is it that you've got tied up in
that marina there and I don't mean the motorboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:25:53 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

That is a strange comment. Yes mosquitos carry malaria, dengue fever,
encephalitis, west Nile virus, rift valley fever and yellow fever. So
what? I've lived for forty years in Asia and never caught anything but
dengue fever. If you are scared of mosquitos then use OFF or some
other anti-mosquito spray.

They also have bird flu but since no one I ever knew caught it I don't
worry about it either.

Millions of people visit Thailand every year and return home tanned,
happy and healthy, but if you are afraid of getting sick then don't
come. Stay home, read a travel magazine.

Internet addiction? You've probably posted far more than I (Wilbur
Hubbard) have. Just because some idiot people think I'm Capt. Neal
doesn't make it so.

Whether you count Wilbur, Neal or Quasimodo do a search on posts. Then
we can talk about addiction.

Two boats? And one a power boat. That proves it, you're a dock rat. A
lubber. A voyaging sailor no more. But 75 is getting old, really old.
Too old to safely be voyaging. I think the best sailor ever, old Josh
Slocum, was 75 when he sailed off and was never heard from again. But,
I'll give you some credit for getting out there and doing it while you
could. It's no shame on you for knowing when to toss in the old towel.

Why not two boats? You probably own two boats, your Trailer-Sailer and
a rubber duck dinghy. Why does having two boats tie one to the dock
more then one boat?

To the best of my knowledge 75 is not too old to be sailing. I met a
chap, 84 years old that sailed across the Pacific from west to east a
couple of years ago.

It is all a matter of health Wilbur. Sitting in that little yellow
boat abusing yourself probably does bring on senile dementia, and hair
on the palms of the hands, but try a healthy diet and running 25 miles
a week and you'll still be hale and hearty when you're my age.

And, if you don't know what "action" in the local backwaters means you
really ARE getting too old. ;-)

Well, given that I'm more of a mainstreet boy I can only imagine what
goes on in the back streets and alleys of the world.

Six-foot draft is dumb, really dumb. It's a bad compromise. For open
ocean voyaging, eight or ten feet of draft is what it takes. And I bet
your boat has an old-fashioned, inefficient full-length keel with barn
door rudder. Get with it man, real savvy voyagers sail deep fin keel
boats with balanced space rudders. They go about twice as fast as your
old-school design and they go to weather ten to twenty degrees higher
and they go downwind without so much rolling from gunnel to gunnel. For
gunkholing and coastal cruising six feet of draft is dumb too. It's just
too much. Why people sail boats like yours that amount to just another
dumb compromise constantly amazes me considering all the choices one has
these days.

No, you are wrong again, Wilbur. Real, savvy voyagers sail what they
got. I've seen everything from 60+ ft. aluminum, fin keel, boats to 35
ft., steel, swing keel boats here on their way around the world.

Your problem is that you are attempting to expound on a subject about
which you know absolutely nothing except what you read in the sailing
magazines.

That is one advantage you would have if you stayed in a marina -- you
would get to see what people actually do instead of just reading about
it in a magazine.

My Swan 68 will sail circles around your whatever? BTW, what is it that
you sail. Errrrr, or should I say, what is it that you've got tied up in
that marina there and I don't mean the motorboat.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur, your Swan 68 is just a figment of your imagination. If you
actually owned a boat like that you wouldn't be living on a tiny
little trailer-sailer anchored in some backwater.

Will boy the most pathetic thing about you is that you have the
equipment to make some impressive cruises and you don't even know it.
There was a chap "Fishmeal" that used to post here. He owned a super
light racing boat 23 - 25 ft. long and he sailed it from California
to Hawaii several years in some kind of single handed race they used
to have. Cruised back, he used to say. You could do the same thing,
but you don't, you just sit there typing away on your computer and
dreaming.

The Lin and Larry Pardey sailed a 28 ft. around the world after having
cruised on Seraffyn a 23 ft. boat for some years; a friend of mine
spent three years in the South Pacific in a 28 ft. boat, Treistan
Jones sailed Sea Dart - a 21 footer - for years.

Just go! You don't need some sort of super yacht to cruise, just go.
You will get some experience and won't be making all these stupid
errors in your posts about cruising boats.

On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't go. You'd be really
insufferable if you actually did know something about cruising instead
of just pathetic as you are now.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote in
:

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:25:53 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

provide a
[...]

be a
[...]

I've forgotten more about sailing than you ever learned. Now consider
the fact that you're so old you probably are in the early stages of
Alzheimer's so what little you managed to learn you are fast forgetting.

And what about your physical state? You said you were 79. That's really
old and at that age even the fittest of men have lost close to 80-90% of
the strength they had in middle age. I hope you always wear a safety
harness the two or three days a year you go offshore. If you ever fell
overboard I doubt you have the upper body strength to get back to your
boat, let alone climb back aboard.

Myself, I'm a world-class athlete at 60 years of age. My VO2 max is
still around 75. (Lance Armstrong's is about 85). I did a 40K individual
time trial on my Cervélo P2 Carbon last month and turned in a time of 61
minutes 23 seconds. (Can you pedal close to 25mph for 25 miles with no
drafting allowed? Fat chance!) Mentally, I'm also close to the top of
my game. IQ used to be about 150 but is now down to around 135. Still in
the upper 95%tile.

--
Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

Goodness Wilbur you certainly draw some strange deductions from what
you read. I really thing a reading comprehensive course (they do
offer these as adult education courses) would be a great advantage
to you.

I've forgotten more about sailing than you ever learned. Now consider
the fact that you're so old you probably are in the early stages of
Alzheimer's so what little you managed to learn you are fast forgetting.

And what about your physical state? You said you were 79. That's really
old and at that age even the fittest of men have lost close to 80-90% of
the strength they had in middle age. I hope you always wear a safety
harness the two or three days a year you go offshore. If you ever fell
overboard I doubt you have the upper body strength to get back to your
boat, let alone climb back aboard.

Much snipped

Myself, I'm a world-class athlete at 60 years of age. My VO2 max is
still around 75. (Lance Armstrong's is about 85). I did a 40K individual
time trial on my Cervélo P2 Carbon last month and turned in a time of 61
minutes 23 seconds. (Can you pedal close to 25mph for 25 miles with no
drafting allowed? Fat chance!) Mentally, I'm also close to the top of
my game. IQ used to be about 150 but is now down to around 135. Still in
the upper 95%tile.

Willie you really need some help in comprehending what you read. I
wrote that I was 75 and whether your glasses need changing or you have
difficulty counting so high you suddenly have aged me 4 years in the
past month.

You own Disney's boat, are a world class athlete and a great sailor
as you are everything else. In your imagination. The typical ego
saving tactic of a small time loser. The next step will probably be
the delusion that you are really Wyle E. Coyote and that you will
finally catch the bird.

It is one thing to carry out a discussion with an individual who may
be a little stupid, but can learn, but to attempt to carry one out
with a psychotic who in his dream world is a superman is a waste of
time. Your posts are so unreal that you should bill yourself as Willie
Clown rather then Willie Hubby.

As Voltaire said - "Common sense is not so common"

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2007 18:43:04 GMT, Wilbur Hubbard
wrote:
m...
wrote:

[...]

You should've learned by now that all real sailors are tall tale tellers
.. . . Some are better yarn spinners than sailors and I think that's a
good thing. I like you because I suspect you of being an accomplished
tall tale teller.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:11:41 -0700, "claus"
wrote:

For a look at the "World Famous Mariner"'s boat - go to
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/Vessel.html

Yes, been there, done that.

Although the self photo is very low quality and cannot be enlarged
successfully, the uniform he is wearing appears to be that of a U.S.
Postal Service letter carrier - you know, the guy that delivers the
mail to your door.

By the way, the sailing vessel Sea Dart in which Tristam Jones made
some incredabl;e solo voyages is a Debutante 21 a much smaller boat
then the Coronado 27, Wilbur's "blue water cruiser".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote:

For a look at the "World Famous Mariner"'s boat - go to
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/Vessel.html

Yes, been there, done that.

Although the self photo is very low quality and cannot be enlarged
successfully, the uniform he is wearing appears to be that of a U.S.
Postal Service letter carrier - you know, the guy that delivers the
mail to your door.

By the way, the sailing vessel Sea Dart in which Tristam Jones made
some incredabl;e solo voyages is a Debutante 21 a much smaller boat
then the Coronado 27, Wilbur's "blue water cruiser".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

He's a water meter reader.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 21:09:25 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

For a look at the "World Famous Mariner"'s boat - go to
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/Vessel.html

Yes, been there, done that.

Although the self photo is very low quality and cannot be enlarged
successfully, the uniform he is wearing appears to be that of a U.S.
Postal Service letter carrier - you know, the guy that delivers the
mail to your door.

By the way, the sailing vessel Sea Dart in which Tristam Jones made
some incredabl;e solo voyages is a Debutante 21 a much smaller boat
then the Coronado 27, Wilbur's "blue water cruiser".

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

He's a water meter reader.

Goodness, I had thought a mail carrier.

Next will come the explanation of why meter reading is a career path
for REAL cruisers. Not those lubbers that hang about in postal trucks.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

How the mighty have fallen Scotty ASA 2 May 23rd 06 02:03 PM
Rembering Our First Fallen Bob Crantz ASA 1 November 14th 05 01:17 PM
OT--RNC--I MUST HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP dixon General 1 September 2nd 04 02:52 PM
Whale Trap Bart Senior ASA 13 August 27th 04 05:09 AM