Default Bruce has fallen into the trap.

Poor Bruce P. has fallen into the trap of moving up in his choice of
boats until he's finally ended up in a boat that's too big for him to
handle or afford.

This is illustrated by the fact Bruce languishes on a marina in Thailand
when he could be out doing some serious coastal cruising in what many
consider one of the world's premiere cruising grounds. Why does he
languish in a marina? There are probably at least several different
reasons. I'll list a few of the more prominent . . .

1) Boat is too big and cumbersome and draft too deep for coastal
cruising and exploring the local backwaters where all the action takes
place and where all the things worth exploring are.

2) Boat has too many systems that are always breaking down and provide a
convenient excuse to stay tied up at the dock.

3) Bruce is really not cut out for cruising. He's not a strong
individual but somebody who prefers the company of like-minded
(dependent) people, which people also like to sit around their boats
tied to a dock and bull**** about where they'll go next - year after
year while their boats become even more trouble-prone and decrepit.

4) Too worried about expenses to properly upkeep his vessel. He probably
never considered how a bigger boat escalates expenses geometrically to
the point he really cannot afford to cruise anymore.

5) Knows voyaging across oceans is not really a passion of his but won't
admit it. Grasps at straws for any excuse to stay put.

6) Addicted to telephones and Internet connections. Is a landlubber at
heart.

Let this be a lesson to everybody else who's not got a realistic vision
of what's involved with long-distance voyaging. Furthermore, let it be a
lesson in knowing when to throw in the towel and admit voyaging is not
really for you. Few things are more pathetic than 'voyagers' and their
vessels rotting away in marinas.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 2, 10:20 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

Willlburrrr... you also forgot another item. THe local food is
incredible.For example the tasty treat called Thi pun tang.
Hell, I wish I had all problems you described about bangcok bRuce!
Get a grip dude! hes lliving the dream.

Bob

oups.com...
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

Willlburrrr... you also forgot another item. THe local food is
incredible.For example the tasty treat called Thi pun tang.
Hell, I wish I had all problems you described about bangcok bRuce!
Get a grip dude! hes lliving the dream.

You're probably right. Bruce sounds like the ladyboy type to me . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:20:25 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Goodness Wilbur you certainly draw some strange deductions from what
you read. I really thing a reading comprehensive course (they do offer
these as adult education courses) would be a great advantage to you.

But just this one last time I'll try to explain the facts of living on
a boat in Asia to you but I'm warning you that if you get it wrong
again you'll just have to remain stupid old Wilbur who's Daddy taught
him not to try to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Poor Bruce P. has fallen into the trap of moving up in his choice of
boats until he's finally ended up in a boat that's too big for him to
handle or afford.

Too big - I've owned this boat for about 10 years and have been
sailing it either single handed or with only my wife for crew for that
entire period.

Can't afford - Actually I own two boats. The forty foot sailboat (for
cruising) and a 35 foot power boat (not a Grand Banks, but similar in
design to one) for short trips, day trips to some of the islands in
Phang Nga Bay, etc. Both paid for in cash I might add.

This is illustrated by the fact Bruce languishes on a marina in Thailand
when he could be out doing some serious coastal cruising in what many
consider one of the world's premiere cruising grounds. Why does he
languish in a marina? There are probably at least several different
reasons. I'll list a few of the more prominent . . .

Well no, I do not cruise 360 days a year so during the periods I'm in
port I do keep the boats in a Marina. One of the main advantages is
that we have 24 hour a day security so things don't walk away nearly
as quickly as they do when you are anchored out.

1) Boat is too big and cumbersome and draft too deep for coastal
cruising and exploring the local backwaters where all the action takes
place and where all the things worth exploring are.

As I mentioned, I've had this boat for 10 years and during that period
sailed it either single handed or with my wife as crew. We've cruised
both the east and west coasts of Malaysia from Singapore north to the
Thai border and all the islands on both coasts; the west coast of
Thailand and all the islands from the Thai Border to the Myanma
border, and all the islands in Phang Nga bay.

The boat draws 6 feet and for this part of the world is a very nominal
draft. Most of the fishing boats here draw that much.

I'm not sure what you mean by "action" in local backwaters. Frog
gigging?

2) Boat has too many systems that are always breaking down and provide a
convenient excuse to stay tied up at the dock.

Other then a complete overhaul on the Perkins 4-107 engine that I did
in Singapore have done no major maintenance on the boat since I owned
it. Oh yes! Sorry, we painted it about five years ago.

3) Bruce is really not cut out for cruising. He's not a strong
individual but somebody who prefers the company of like-minded
(dependent) people, which people also like to sit around their boats
tied to a dock and bull**** about where they'll go next - year after
year while their boats become even more trouble-prone and decrepit.

Well, I suppose I'm not as strong as I once was, after all I'm 75
years old but certainly still active enough to sail. We made a trip
from Singapore to Phuket last September, at the end of the N.E.
Monsoons and will probably plan at least one longish trip, maybe
around the peninsular and up the river to Bangkok, once the rains stop
this year.

4) Too worried about expenses to properly upkeep his vessel. He probably
never considered how a bigger boat escalates expenses geometrically to
the point he really cannot afford to cruise anymore.

You are correct - I believe that I read that boat expense increase as
a square of the length. But without going into details I can assure
you that I have sufficient where-with-all to keep the boats going.

5) Knows voyaging across oceans is not really a passion of his but won't
admit it. Grasps at straws for any excuse to stay put.

What's to admit? I recently bought the power boat in Singapore and
brought it back to Phuket on its own bottom. Boats go on the water. If
you want to go somewhere where there is water you just go.

6) Addicted to telephones and Internet connections. Is a landlubber at
heart.

Hubby - do one thing for me. Check the archives and report back how
many posts have been made by you, in your various guises, and how many
have been made by me. Then we can intelligently discuss Internet
addiction.

Hand phones? Yes I own a hand phone - you want to know a secret?
Because hand phone calls in Thailand are cheaper then land line calls
so it makes economic sense to own a hand phone rather then a land
line.

Let this be a lesson to everybody else who's not got a realistic vision
of what's involved with long-distance voyaging. Furthermore, let it be a
lesson in knowing when to throw in the towel and admit voyaging is not
really for you. Few things are more pathetic than 'voyagers' and their
vessels rotting away in marinas.

I certainly agree, let it be a lesson! Come to Thailand and enjoy one
of the most pleasant countries in the world and cruise in some of the
most spectacular waters on God's green earth.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:02:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

roups.com...
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

Willlburrrr... you also forgot another item. THe local food is
incredible.For example the tasty treat called Thi pun tang.
Hell, I wish I had all problems you described about bangcok bRuce!
Get a grip dude! hes lliving the dream.

You're probably right. Bruce sounds like the ladyboy type to me . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Hubby, you'll just have to talk to my wife of 40 years about that.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Bob Bob is offline

On Aug 2, 6:34 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:02:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:

roups.com...
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

Willlburrrr... you also forgot another item. THe local food is
incredible.For example the tasty treat called Thi pun tang.
Hell, I wish I had all problems you described about bangcok bRuce!
Get a grip dude! hes lliving the dream.

You're probably right. Bruce sounds like the ladyboy type to me . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Hubby, you'll just have to talk to my wife of 40 years about that.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)- Hide quoted text -

HEy BRuce......... you crusing with your wife???? Good on mate! Not
many woman spouses take to that life. Must have a really nice head n
ur boat!

Bob

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:35:16 -0700, Bob wrote:

On Aug 2, 6:34 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:02:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:

roups.com...
wrote:

Wilbur Hubbard

Willlburrrr... you also forgot another item. THe local food is
incredible.For example the tasty treat called Thi pun tang.
Hell, I wish I had all problems you described about bangcok bRuce!
Get a grip dude! hes lliving the dream.

You're probably right. Bruce sounds like the ladyboy type to me . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Hubby, you'll just have to talk to my wife of 40 years about that.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)- Hide quoted text -

HEy BRuce......... you crusing with your wife???? Good on mate! Not
many woman spouses take to that life. Must have a really nice head n
ur boat!

Bob

I'll tell you a little secret. Most Thai women, way down deep, are
worried about losing their husbands. Thai men tend to play musical
chairs when it comes to female companions, or at least a substantial
number do. So, you tell the Missus that you are going sailing and she
says, "I'd kinda like to stay home." You say, "Don't worry Honey, I
can find somebody to do the cooking", and she'll have her bags on
board before you do.

Just to keep the record straight though, an American friend who was
planning an Indian Ocean crossing a coupl;e of years ago was in Phuket
getting the boat ready. His wife, who was in the States and told him
on the phone that "maybe he could find somebody to crew for him as she
was feeling a bit poorly." He called her back a day or so later and
told her that most of the boats had already left and the only crew he
could locate was a Dutch woman, about 40-ish, who was willing to go.

The wife was on the next flight.

An they had a horrible trip......

The head gets it's seacocks closed before we leave and they don't get
opened until we anchor but I made a plastic bucket with a nice smooth
edge and a three metres lanyard complete with a loop to throw over a
cleat before you drop it over the side.

The old one had a three metre lanyard but no loop and the Missus
dropped it over the side one day when we were doing 6 Knts. Tried to
hang on so she wouldn't lose the bucket. She reckons that loop is
damned near rocket science....

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Aug 2, 6:34 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:02:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Why?

Stephen

On Aug 2, 6:34 pm, wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:02:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:

legroups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Far out, Bruce.

Thanks for the belly laugh!

Richard

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:09:31 -0700, Stephen Trapani

On Aug 2, 6:34 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:02:07 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Mostly I'm a worry-wart I guess and it is one more thing that I don't
have to worry about and check.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

How the mighty have fallen Scotty ASA 2 May 23rd 06 02:03 PM
Rembering Our First Fallen Bob Crantz ASA 1 November 14th 05 01:17 PM
OT--RNC--I MUST HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP dixon General 1 September 2nd 04 02:52 PM
Whale Trap Bart Senior ASA 13 August 27th 04 05:09 AM