ron ron is offline

Default Suggestions for a low maintenace, low operating cost, seaworthy power boat 40 - 45'?

Anyone have suggestions? I subscribe to the KISS principle and have
lived, off and on for 20years on a CAL 34 sailboat. That boat has no
pressure water and no hot water and I've been perfectly happy boiling
water whenever I need hot water.

However I need more space and don't feel that I can handle a larger
sailboat by myself. I'd like to keep my purchase below $100,000, and
certainly below $150,000. The boats I've gravitated to are the
Roughwater 41 and the Gulfstar 43.

I'd be interested in what others might suggest. By the way I live in
the Pacific NW.

"ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have suggestions? I subscribe to the KISS principle and have
lived, off and on for 20years on a CAL 34 sailboat. That boat has no
pressure water and no hot water and I've been perfectly happy boiling
water whenever I need hot water.

However I need more space and don't feel that I can handle a larger
sailboat by myself. I'd like to keep my purchase below $100,000, and
certainly below $150,000. The boats I've gravitated to are the
Roughwater 41 and the Gulfstar 43.

I'd be interested in what others might suggest. By the way I live in
the Pacific NW.

You might like to look into an early-70's CT-41, non-pilothouse version. The
hulls are exceptionally well-built, William Garden designed. If the boat has
or had laid teak decks, be certain to examine the decks thoroughly for signs
of core leaks/rot. Also examine the entire deckhouse for signs of dryrot.
But if you find a good one, you have an excellent boat. You'll be
hard-pressed to find a 40 foot boat that is more seakindly or seaworthy. And
the best examples are shrines to exquisite woodwork down below.

As to mechanical and electrical, and tanks, examine them carefully also, of
course.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All moot, of course, since I didn't catch that you were looking for power
boats.

On Sun, 20 May 2007 21:54:18 -0700, ron wrote:

I'd be interested in what others might suggest. By the way I live in
the Pacific NW.

Have you looked at a Maple Leaf 42? I know you said powerboat, but they're
basically a motorsailor. Nice combination of liveaboard, motoryacht and
sailboat, and made here in the Pac NW (in BC, I believe!)

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

ron ron is offline

You might like to look into an early-70's CT-41, non-pilothouse version

Have you looked at a Maple Leaf 42? I know you said powerboat, but they're
basically a motorsailor. Nice combination of liveaboard, motoryacht and
sailboat, and made here in the Pac NW (in BC, I believe!)

Thanks for the suggestions and I did take a look at both of those
boats just now on Yachtworld. I'm afraid that I would find that size
of a sailboat more than a handful for me...the CAL 34 is just about
right for me. In addition, I don't think even those boats would
accomodate the office space I want in my next boat. Much of my time
nowdays is spent on the computer and even though I use a laptop, the
peripheral equiptment and all the paperwork, along with the computer
pretty much fill up my main salon on the CAL.

The things I really love about the CAL:
1. All fiberglass and low maintenance.
2. Very basic and not much to go wrong.
3. Easy to handle dock lines with open cockpit helm.
4. Easily driven hull and relatively economical to run, even under
power.

However I also now want:
1. Space for an office.
2. Some form of diesel heat.
3. Larger fuel and water tankage.
4. A helm area out of the weather

Both the Gulfstar and the Roughwater have aft staterooms with enough
space that I could convert part of it into an office. I also think
that the midship, 2nd stateroom on a Krogen 42 could be turned into an
office (however the Krogen is way above my budget). My ideal boat
would be:

1. An all fiberglass boat.
2. A displacement hull powerboat with low horsepower.
3. A pilothouse with port and starboard deck access for ease of
single-handed docking/locking.

Neither the Gulfstar nor the Roughwater meet those requirements but I
think I could live with the tradeoffs. The problem is that Gulfstar
43's seldom come up for sale in the Pacific NW and the Roughwater 41's
often have plywood house and deck which is prone to leak and rot
problems. I understand that some of the last ones produced were all
fiberglass.

I've been looking for five or six years now and still haven't found
something that I'd give up the CAL in order to buy. Sure would
appreciate any ideas people might have.
..

On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:36:27 -0700, druid wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 21:54:18 -0700, ron wrote:

I'd be interested in what others might suggest. By the way I live in
the Pacific NW.

Have you looked at a Maple Leaf 42? I know you said powerboat, but
they're basically a motorsailor. Nice combination of liveaboard,
motoryacht and sailboat, and made here in the Pac NW (in BC, I believe!)

I'll second that suggestion. The Maple Leaf is both a great sailboat,
and a great powerboat, a rare combination. Beware though, a lot of them
were owner-finished, and pretty rough inside. The 100% Cooper-built
boats as nice as anything ever made.

BTW, I spend my summers on a Maple Leaf 50, one of three built.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole brought forth on stone tablets:
On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:36:27 -0700, druid wrote:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 21:54:18 -0700, ron wrote:

I'd be interested in what others might suggest. By the way I live in
the Pacific NW.

Have you looked at a Maple Leaf 42? I know you said powerboat, but
they're basically a motorsailor. Nice combination of liveaboard,
motoryacht and sailboat, and made here in the Pac NW (in BC, I believe!)

I'll second that suggestion. The Maple Leaf is both a great sailboat,
and a great powerboat, a rare combination. Beware though, a lot of them
were owner-finished, and pretty rough inside. The 100% Cooper-built
boats as nice as anything ever made.

BTW, I spend my summers on a Maple Leaf 50, one of three built.

Matt O.

Would one of 'em be AkWa? We are docked next to her...

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle
Bob Bob is offline

On May 20, 9:54 pm, ron wrote:
Anyone have suggestions? I subscribe to the KISS principle

and
certainly below $150,000.

search vessel brokers for STEEL SHRIMPER. you can still find some
GREAT ten year old 60'-80' steel gulf shrimpers for under 150K . these
are 750,000+ boats new. why screw around with plastic pleaseure boats
when ya can have one of those bad boys for so cheep. take to Reedsport
or Toledo (up the river from Newport) for haul out. they work on those
all the time. LOTS of space an dif ur hand with a torch and welder
even more better. Remodel it!
Bob

ron ron is offline

search vessel brokers for STEEL SHRIMPER. you can still find some
GREAT ten year old 60'-80' steel gulf shrimpers for under 150K .

Interesting suggestion, Bob. I think that 60' would be way more boat
than I would need and my guess would be that the boat would not be
economical to run nor would it be cheap by the time I got it back to
the Pacific NW. I'm also not familiar with steel vessals but did
pursue one until I discovered I couldn't get any yard to give me an
estimate on the work necessary to deal with the rust (admitedly that
was right before the fishing season)

Bob Bob is offline

Interesting suggestion, Bob. I think that 60' would be way more boat
than I would need

and my guess would be that the boat would not be
economical to run

Why say that? Commercial fisherman (fishers?) by nature are very
frugal people who need very simple boats. Simple to operate, simple to
fix underway, simple to maintain. Why????? Simple is as simple does,
to quote one notable shrimper. A 540 HP derated Cat 3412 sucks
20-25gph under 100% continuous load. Now I don't think you'll be
dragging no shrimp net so most likely fuel will be on the light side
of 20 gph.

When you get that white plastic recreational thing with twin what
evers shoveled under the deck, ask your self this:
How do you get 350 HP out of such a small engine?
How much fuel does TWO of those things burn?
How many hours before both need a top end rebuild?
How many hours labor will it take to_________ ?!?!??! Oh, small
cramped spaces cause high marina bills.
Go to any of the yards on the OR-WA coast that service the commercial
fleet. Astoria, Toledo, Reedsport, Charleston. They would be happy to
give you a very accurate estimate for maint and repair. I did and was
surprisingly pleased with their info.

Just because it is a commercial fishing vessel means its bad. Just
imagine all that HUGE, stand up straight space in the engine room.

Once I get to that golden age I'm certainly selling my cramped 39'
sailboat and getting a real boat. And when I get tired putting up a
river I can just stick the bow in the mud and call it a day.

Who knows, with that kind of space I might head down to San Francisco,
call it a B & B, rent out a room for $150/night on the boat for the
tourist. I'd go to my room that I put in way aft in the hold. Nice and
quiet but still on board. But of course on my run from OR to CA put a
deck load of cord wood I got cheep in southern Oregon. Then sell it
for $ 400 a cord to the city folks off the dock. Maybe try Christmas
trees one year. Lots of ways to cut fuel bills on a work boat. Try
that on a white plastic what ever.

Take this to the bank...................... people only know what they
know. If all they know is white plastic that is all they will
recommend and all that you will consider. So crawl out of that Miracle
Whip bowl and look around to ALL your options.

nor would it be cheap by the time I got it back to
the Pacific NW.

Buy one in down in the GOM, take it to a yard there, haul it and be
ready for a $10-20,000 bill and 3-4 weeks on the yard. Strip all the
fishing gear and ya might get some money for that, then fly the family
down and take them through the cannal and port hop up the west coast.
Sounds fun to me, no?

I'm also not familiar with steel vessals

Read a book.

If youre condiering a $150,000 recreatinal boat you have enough money
to buy and maintain 70' shrimper.

Bob