ron ron is offline

Default Suggestions for a low maintenace, low operating cost, seaworthy power boat 40 - 45'?

You might like to look into an early-70's CT-41, non-pilothouse version

Have you looked at a Maple Leaf 42? I know you said powerboat, but they're
basically a motorsailor. Nice combination of liveaboard, motoryacht and
sailboat, and made here in the Pac NW (in BC, I believe!)

Thanks for the suggestions and I did take a look at both of those
boats just now on Yachtworld. I'm afraid that I would find that size
of a sailboat more than a handful for me...the CAL 34 is just about
right for me. In addition, I don't think even those boats would
accomodate the office space I want in my next boat. Much of my time
nowdays is spent on the computer and even though I use a laptop, the
peripheral equiptment and all the paperwork, along with the computer
pretty much fill up my main salon on the CAL.

The things I really love about the CAL:
1. All fiberglass and low maintenance.
2. Very basic and not much to go wrong.
3. Easy to handle dock lines with open cockpit helm.
4. Easily driven hull and relatively economical to run, even under
power.

However I also now want:
1. Space for an office.
2. Some form of diesel heat.
3. Larger fuel and water tankage.
4. A helm area out of the weather

Both the Gulfstar and the Roughwater have aft staterooms with enough
space that I could convert part of it into an office. I also think
that the midship, 2nd stateroom on a Krogen 42 could be turned into an
office (however the Krogen is way above my budget). My ideal boat
would be:

1. An all fiberglass boat.
2. A displacement hull powerboat with low horsepower.
3. A pilothouse with port and starboard deck access for ease of
single-handed docking/locking.

Neither the Gulfstar nor the Roughwater meet those requirements but I
think I could live with the tradeoffs. The problem is that Gulfstar
43's seldom come up for sale in the Pacific NW and the Roughwater 41's
often have plywood house and deck which is prone to leak and rot
problems. I understand that some of the last ones produced were all
fiberglass.

I've been looking for five or six years now and still haven't found
something that I'd give up the CAL in order to buy. Sure would
appreciate any ideas people might have.
..