Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:04:25 -0400, Peter Hendra wrote:

Great idea. I have been in situations where the ships can visually see
me but I do not appear on their radar screen - sea state and waves
etc. - I have the old metal "forget what it's called" aluminium sphere
permanently swinging at my cross trees.

The best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on.

Matt O.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
25.201...
"Capt. JG" wrote in
:
No doubt it's a net positive....but not a cureall.... and unless you
consider the possible limitations, not only in the system but also in
it's
usage, then you are still going to get caught short at the wrong time.
The ability to call a vessel by name is probably one of it's greatest
benefits.....but knowing the name and then getting an answer to a call
is
still not guaranteed to be successful.
I like it, I use it, but I frequently see problems with reception
while
using it and I stay ready to try different channels while calling and
try
to watch my "Boston" accent and tendency to talk fast.

otn

Yah, like you really need it driving a little pilot boat in and out of a
harbor in a marked channel... Lame, otn, lame!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:32:27 -0400, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:04:25 -0400, Peter Hendra wrote:

Great idea. I have been in situations where the ships can visually see
me but I do not appear on their radar screen - sea state and waves
etc. - I have the old metal "forget what it's called" aluminium sphere
permanently swinging at my cross trees.

The best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on.

Matt O.

Great idea Matt,
That's fine if you have radar which a lot of yachrts crossing the
oceans don 't. It's also fine so long as you don't mind turning the
engine on to charge the batteries. To have the radar on 24x7 means a
lot of battery charging even if you use the sleep/sweep function that
some have. There are other drains on power - eg navigation lights etc.

Technology is there but in practice it may not be practical.

regards
Peter Hendra

wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:04:25 -0400, Peter Hendra wrote:

Great idea. I have been in situations where the ships can visually see
me but I do not appear on their radar screen - sea state and waves
etc. - I have the old metal "forget what it's called" aluminium sphere
permanently swinging at my cross trees.

The best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on.

Matt O.

Ok, I gotta ask...... how will this help?

otn

* Rick B. wrote, On 4/13/2007 7:18 PM:

I wish the technology with fuel cells would advance far enough to be
economical to address applications of this nature.

What type of fuel cells are you talking about? The fuels cells most
people refer to convert hydrogen to electricity. But the hydrogen is
either taken on as fuel requiring high pressure tanks and hydrogen
filling stations everywhere, or its created with electricity, and thus
works just like a battery. There are maybe reasons why this works for
cars, but it isn't very practical for boats.

wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:04:25 -0400, Peter Hendra wrote:

Great idea. I have been in situations where the ships can visually see
me but I do not appear on their radar screen - sea state and waves
etc. - I have the old metal "forget what it's called" aluminium sphere
permanently swinging at my cross trees.

The best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on.

Matt O.

Ok, I gotta ask...... how will this help?

otn

Quite simply, if you are on watch you can glance at the radar when you
do your "stand up and slowly scan the horizon 360 degrees with your
peripheral vision" The oncoming ship may not see you at all or even be
aware of your presence but at least you can take avoiding action.
Also, if you have a guard zone set, an audible alarm will warn you of
approaching shipping.

I do not want to place my life in the hands of someone I do not know
and whom I cannot ensure is attending diligently to his instruments
and thus I take sole responsibility for not being run down by a larger
vessel.

I have installed external piezo alarms (a few dollars each) of the
loud lazarus variety (awaken the dead) on all of my instruments - GPS
for anchor drag, wind for increase above a set level, depth and so on.
I am in the process of installing a seatalk one for the Raymarine
radar as the unit's internal one is not loud enough. I couldn't do it
for my last solo sail as it needs a "box" to attach an alarm to.

None of this is intended to allow me to armchair sail. They are merely
an attempt to make life easier and longer. At anchor now for years
with a 60lb anchor down on 5:1 depth of chain, I can sleep more
soundly knowing that should the wind turn or the anchor drag, I will
be awakened from the deepest sleep by a strident alarm that can be
heard on the other side of the planet. It's amazing how much better
one sleeps. Note - I test this alarm very often. When it does go off
in the night I don't even have to think. My body leaps out of bed and
heads towards the deck, followed by my mind shortly thereafter. Anyone
who neglects to add a $7 peizo, available from any electronics shop
(make sure they are 12 volt) is avoiding very cheap and very easily
installed insurance and peace of mind.

cheers
Peter

All understood, Peter. My question was directed at Matt O's statement "The
best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on."

otn

Peter Hendra wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

You forgot something very important. How about a low-voltage alarm in
case your battery goes flat in the middle of the night from all the
excess draw from all your electronics and alarms? ;-) I suppose I use
different tactics. My Allied Seawind 32 only draws four and a half feet.
I use this to my advantage and always try to anchor in shallow water
where a ship couldn't run me down if it tried.

Wilbur Hubbard

Larry wrote:
Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6547267.stm

Full AIS transponders.....the sooner, the better for everyone.

Bull. The commercial boats don't mind knocking a few of us over. To
them, we're sea trash.

Yacht charter Croatia [email protected] Cruising 1 February 23rd 14 02:32 PM
HELP! Stain on seats!! SARAH General 12 June 5th 06 07:13 PM
Aboard the Anderson Ferry Garrison Hilliard General 2 January 24th 06 12:40 AM
Yacht Charter Vancouver - Five Star Yacht Charters Todd Zuccolo Cruising 0 April 17th 05 11:58 AM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM