Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:43:47 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:32:27 -0400, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:04:25 -0400, Peter Hendra wrote:

Great idea. I have been in situations where the ships can visually see
me but I do not appear on their radar screen - sea state and waves
etc. - I have the old metal "forget what it's called" aluminium sphere
permanently swinging at my cross trees.

The best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on.

Matt O.

Ok, I gotta ask...... how will this help?

otn

Quite simply, if you are on watch you can glance at the radar when you
do your "stand up and slowly scan the horizon 360 degrees with your
peripheral vision" The oncoming ship may not see you at all or even be
aware of your presence but at least you can take avoiding action.
Also, if you have a guard zone set, an audible alarm will warn you of
approaching shipping.

I do not want to place my life in the hands of someone I do not know
and whom I cannot ensure is attending diligently to his instruments
and thus I take sole responsibility for not being run down by a larger
vessel.

I have installed external piezo alarms (a few dollars each) of the
loud lazarus variety (awaken the dead) on all of my instruments - GPS
for anchor drag, wind for increase above a set level, depth and so on.
I am in the process of installing a seatalk one for the Raymarine
radar as the unit's internal one is not loud enough. I couldn't do it
for my last solo sail as it needs a "box" to attach an alarm to.

None of this is intended to allow me to armchair sail. They are merely
an attempt to make life easier and longer. At anchor now for years
with a 60lb anchor down on 5:1 depth of chain, I can sleep more
soundly knowing that should the wind turn or the anchor drag, I will
be awakened from the deepest sleep by a strident alarm that can be
heard on the other side of the planet. It's amazing how much better
one sleeps. Note - I test this alarm very often. When it does go off
in the night I don't even have to think. My body leaps out of bed and
heads towards the deck, followed by my mind shortly thereafter. Anyone
who neglects to add a $7 peizo, available from any electronics shop
(make sure they are 12 volt) is avoiding very cheap and very easily
installed insurance and peace of mind.

cheers
Peter