Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:32:27 -0400, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:04:25 -0400, Peter Hendra wrote:

Great idea. I have been in situations where the ships can visually see
me but I do not appear on their radar screen - sea state and waves
etc. - I have the old metal "forget what it's called" aluminium sphere
permanently swinging at my cross trees.

The best way to be seen on someone else's radar is to have your own radar
turned on.

Matt O.

Great idea Matt,
That's fine if you have radar which a lot of yachrts crossing the
oceans don 't. It's also fine so long as you don't mind turning the
engine on to charge the batteries. To have the radar on 24x7 means a
lot of battery charging even if you use the sleep/sweep function that
some have. There are other drains on power - eg navigation lights etc.

Technology is there but in practice it may not be practical.

regards
Peter Hendra