Default Oh, Canada

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
What to do about it? Self-insure. Yes, put some money aside and insure
yourself. Since any accident or negligence that results in a loss will be
coming 100% out of your own pocket you will become a safer boater and less
likely to come to grief. The next time I hear some fool tell me, "Oh,
don't worry, I have insurance." after leaving their boat on one inadequate
anchor, I think I'm going to spit right in their face.

Ah. The moral hazard of insuring.

I'll agree with you there's not necessarily any need to insure your own
losses. Self insurance for loss or damage to your own boat will only harm
*you* if things go wrong.

With respect to third parties, it's a different matter. If an incident
occurs which is your fault, and it results in damage, injury or death to
another, will you have the assets to compensate them?

For this reason third party boat insurance in most parts of Europe is
compulsory. And even when it's not, many marinas will not accept vessels
without evidence of third party insurance. Bit like compulsory car insurance
in most civilised countries . . .

Luckily, third party only insurance is cheap. Perhaps that's Roger's answer.

JimB
www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
Comparing the cruise areas of Europe

Jere Lull wrote:

?? You can't get a rider with your existing company??

Nope. They don't have underwriting for waters outside the US aside from the
Great Lakes.

I could change to a company with more comprehensive geographical limits but
my premiums are half other quotes I've gotten and I have no calendar limits
so I can sail on those nice days in November and December if I want. Also,
no requirement for re-survey every couple of years. I would really hate to
give up these advantages just for a couple weeks in Canada. Next year, when
I should be able to go all summer, it will be different.

--
Roger Long

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:10:03 -0500, in message

"mr.b" wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:43:23 -0500, Roger Long wrote:

It's not looking too good for getting to Nova Scotia this year.

Another other option is to just go without insurance. Personally I think
the sooner the extortion racket we call "insurance" is brought
to heel, the better.

I'm not sure it is an extortion racket, as both of those are loaded
terms. OTOH there is a strong social pressure to insure any endeavour
we undertake and the rates will be set on the basis of the dumbest
endeavourer.

Roger, have you asked about liability vs vessel loss? Make sure you
protect yourself only against losses you can't absorb. Based on past
information, I have the impression that a sinking wouldn't change your
world unless you lost crew.

Ryk

Canada's health care crisis Scott Weiser General 663 December 31st 10 01:32 PM
Which cities have ocean access? Aimee Shimlis Cruising 15 November 21st 05 10:37 PM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Oh Canada! Bob Crantz ASA 0 July 17th 04 03:32 PM