News f2s News f2s is offline

Default Oh, Canada

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
What to do about it? Self-insure. Yes, put some money aside and insure
yourself. Since any accident or negligence that results in a loss will be
coming 100% out of your own pocket you will become a safer boater and less
likely to come to grief. The next time I hear some fool tell me, "Oh,
don't worry, I have insurance." after leaving their boat on one inadequate
anchor, I think I'm going to spit right in their face.

Ah. The moral hazard of insuring.

I'll agree with you there's not necessarily any need to insure your own
losses. Self insurance for loss or damage to your own boat will only harm
*you* if things go wrong.

With respect to third parties, it's a different matter. If an incident
occurs which is your fault, and it results in damage, injury or death to
another, will you have the assets to compensate them?

For this reason third party boat insurance in most parts of Europe is
compulsory. And even when it's not, many marinas will not accept vessels
without evidence of third party insurance. Bit like compulsory car insurance
in most civilised countries . . .

Luckily, third party only insurance is cheap. Perhaps that's Roger's answer.

JimB
www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/
Comparing the cruise areas of Europe