Parallax

Default Tiller control

Have been considering some sort of tiller control for single handing.
This is in addition to an auto-pilot as often the AP isnt connected
and all you want to do is go forward for a few sec to clear a line or
something. A back issue of Practical Sailor had a review of several
tiller control systems such as the "Tillerlok", or "TillerTamer" and
others designed to keep teh tiller amidships. These all involved
something costly, complex, or cutting a hole in the boat for mounting.
Most of them held the tiller rigidly amisships which I dont think is
desired.
What I propose is the following:

Obtain a 4-5" piece of shock cord. In its center, put a loopp to fit
tightly over the tiller so that it wont go very far down the tiller
without some force. On either side of the tiller, use a piece of 5/16
line to tie a Prusik knot around the shock cord (prusik knot is used
for mountain climbing and vertical caving. It wont slide down under
load unless "unloaded" by hand but can be easily re-positioned). The
other end of the 5/16 line has carabiners for attaching to your
slotted toerail or other place on either side aft of the loop around
the tiller.

When KNOT in use, one carabiner is taken off the toerail the central
loop is off the tiller and it is stowed to one side.

To use:
Slip the central loop over the tiller, stretch the other side with its
carabiner and put the carabiner on the toerail. With equal stretch on
either side, it keeps the tiller in the middle but allows you to
quickly shove it to either side against the pressure of the shock cord
if needed.

This also allows for some movement of the tiller instead of keeping it
solidly locked. It also allows you to adjust the pull on either side
by repositioning the prusik knot one either side to shorten the
effective shock cord length. This allows for a few moments of self
steering if you make sure you have a little weather helm and keep some
pull to windward on the tiller.
Lauri Tarkkonen

In (Parallax) writes:

[...]

Why all this trouble when wrapping the shockcord one or more times
around the tiller. In light weather one round and in heavier stuff
more, so that you have more friction and a tihgter schockord.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Steve

My favorite is a 'comb' just a piece of metal with a dozen 1/4 slots cut
along the edge. Mounted about a foot or so ahead of the rudder pivet point.
On the bottom of the tiller is a ~3/16" metal blade perturding downward and
just above the comb.

Just the push the tiller downward into the slot that best suits your tiller
position. If your afraid this might interfer with normal steering, then put
the comb on a hing so you can fold it down out of the way. (normally I would
have enough friction in the tiller pivet so it stayed above the comb).

I don't have that on my present boat but I'm looking for a similar method.
Right now I just engage the windvane steering control line to either lock
the tiller or let the vane steer for me.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

Have been considering some sort of tiller control for single handing.
This is in addition to an auto-pilot as often the AP isnt connected
and all you want to do is go forward for a few sec to clear a line or
something. A back issue of Practical Sailor had a review of several
tiller control systems such as the "Tillerlok", or "TillerTamer" and
others designed to keep teh tiller amidships. These all involved
something costly, complex, or cutting a hole in the boat for mounting.
Most of them held the tiller rigidly amisships which I dont think is
desired.

We have a Tiller Tamer in addition to our autopilot. It does what you
want quite nicely and only required two screw holes in the tiller; I tie
the lines to stanchions that are in approximately the right place. When
we're working upwind in shifty conditions, I'm as likely to use the
TillerTamer because it'll let us follow the shifts for minutes at a
time. (A more stable boat would have better results.) It'll "lock"
anywhere you want, not just admidships, BTW.

--
Jere Lull

Peter Bennett

On 10 Oct 2003 14:02:02 -0700, (Parallax)
wrote:

Have been considering some sort of tiller control for single handing.
This is in addition to an auto-pilot as often the AP isnt connected
and all you want to do is go forward for a few sec to clear a line or
something. A back issue of Practical Sailor had a review of several
tiller control systems such as the "Tillerlok", or "TillerTamer" and
others designed to keep teh tiller amidships. These all involved
something costly, complex, or cutting a hole in the boat for mounting.
Most of them held the tiller rigidly amisships which I dont think is
desired.
What I propose is the following:

I had good success using two lines joined by a length of shock cord.
The free ends of the lines were run through eyes on Cunningham hooks,
and secured back to themselves using flat plastic plates with two
close-fitting holes, like tent peg adjusters. I had an eye strap on
the tiller, and hooked one of the Cunningham hooks into that strap.
The line then went outboard and aft, to go around the pushpit
stanchion, then across the boat (with the shock cord over (or under)
the tiller), around the other pushpit stanchion, and back to the eye
strap on the tiller. The tension on the line could be adjusted by
sliding the adjusting plates along the line.

If I couldn't get enough friction with that rig to hold the tiller, I
had two small ClamCleats on the coamings, just aft of the end of the
tiller. A 1/8" (or so) line with bowline could be looped over the
tiller and dropped in the windward ClamCleat to hold the tiller, and
would allow the tiller position to be easily adjusted.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
new newsgroup users info :

Parallax

wrote:

[...]

My system would be very much like Bennets except I would not have any
camcleats or adjusting plates, instead would use the Prusik knots tied
around the shockcord to adjust tension on either side. Glad to hear
of other good ideas.
98stratus

Why make it so complicated, Just get a piece of bungy cord and a couple of
the plasticc hooks for them. Get a length that is about 3/4 of the distance
to 2 attachment point (I use the lower bails on the stern rail on my boat )
and when you want to use it clip it to one side, then take one wrap around
the tiller and then continue stretching to the other side. The fristion
holds the tiller in place (if its windy add a second wrap)

Done. and cotst less than 1/10 of a boat unit!

Pierre

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Parallax

"98stratus" wrote in message ...
Why make it so complicated, Just get a piece of bungy cord and a couple of
the plasticc hooks for them. Get a length that is about 3/4 of the distance
to 2 attachment point (I use the lower bails on the stern rail on my boat )
and when you want to use it clip it to one side, then take one wrap around
the tiller and then continue stretching to the other side. The fristion
holds the tiller in place (if its windy add a second wrap)

Done. and cotst less than 1/10 of a boat unit!

Pierre

For Lauri and Pier

I actually did this today and appreciate your suggestions. I wuill
defer he more complex arrangement till needed.
Thanks

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

NJL

I use a continuous line that runs from the stern along the deck to the
pulpit along the stanchion footings, across the bow, and then back to
the stern along the other side. Each end of the line turns around a
stanchion abaft the cockpit and then to the tiller.

By simply reaching down and adjusting the continuous tiller line, I am
able to steer the boat from anyplace on the deck. This allows me to
maintain tiller control when I am single handed on the bow working the
headsail. Or at the mast while underway.

There is sufficient "drag" along the deck and stanchions to hold the
tiller in the position I choose, even in close hauled into reasonable
winds (20kts+).

At the moment I am simply "wrapping" the line to the tiller and will
seek a more permanent solution next season. Additionally, I wish to
"tidy up" the line by moving it off the deck upward on the stanchions
with new hardware (don't know the proper name!!) that will allow the
line to pass cleanly through a "hole". But, I will still need impressive
amounts of feedback on the line to ensure that the tiller forces do not
overpower the drag on the line and allow the tiller to move freely while
underway and unattended.

This "jury rig" works well for me when single handed. BTW, I'm sailing a
Catalina 22 - small enough to permit the use of this sort of rig.

Hope this helps.
CL

Lauri Tarkkonen

In NJL writes:

I use a continuous line that runs from the stern along the deck to the
pulpit along the stanchion footings, across the bow, and then back to
the stern along the other side. Each end of the line turns around a
stanchion abaft the cockpit and then to the tiller.

By simply reaching down and adjusting the continuous tiller line, I am
able to steer the boat from anyplace on the deck. This allows me to
maintain tiller control when I am single handed on the bow working the
headsail. Or at the mast while underway.

There is sufficient "drag" along the deck and stanchions to hold the
tiller in the position I choose, even in close hauled into reasonable
winds (20kts+).

I do not think the problem is with the close hauled sailing. I have
had many boats that with properly trimmed sails and a piece of string
holding the tiller on the windward side can sail for hours without
any attention of the helmsman. Run and broad reach are the points
of sailing that create problems.

- Lauri Tarkkonen