NJL

Default Tiller control

I use a continuous line that runs from the stern along the deck to the
pulpit along the stanchion footings, across the bow, and then back to
the stern along the other side. Each end of the line turns around a
stanchion abaft the cockpit and then to the tiller.

By simply reaching down and adjusting the continuous tiller line, I am
able to steer the boat from anyplace on the deck. This allows me to
maintain tiller control when I am single handed on the bow working the
headsail. Or at the mast while underway.

There is sufficient "drag" along the deck and stanchions to hold the
tiller in the position I choose, even in close hauled into reasonable
winds (20kts+).

At the moment I am simply "wrapping" the line to the tiller and will
seek a more permanent solution next season. Additionally, I wish to
"tidy up" the line by moving it off the deck upward on the stanchions
with new hardware (don't know the proper name!!) that will allow the
line to pass cleanly through a "hole". But, I will still need impressive
amounts of feedback on the line to ensure that the tiller forces do not
overpower the drag on the line and allow the tiller to move freely while
underway and unattended.

This "jury rig" works well for me when single handed. BTW, I'm sailing a
Catalina 22 - small enough to permit the use of this sort of rig.

Hope this helps.
CL