Parallax

Default Tiller control

Peter Bennett wrote in message rnews.com...
On 10 Oct 2003 14:02:02 -0700, (Parallax)
wrote:

Have been considering some sort of tiller control for single handing.
This is in addition to an auto-pilot as often the AP isnt connected
and all you want to do is go forward for a few sec to clear a line or
something. A back issue of Practical Sailor had a review of several
tiller control systems such as the "Tillerlok", or "TillerTamer" and
others designed to keep teh tiller amidships. These all involved
something costly, complex, or cutting a hole in the boat for mounting.
Most of them held the tiller rigidly amisships which I dont think is
desired.
What I propose is the following:

I had good success using two lines joined by a length of shock cord.
The free ends of the lines were run through eyes on Cunningham hooks,
and secured back to themselves using flat plastic plates with two
close-fitting holes, like tent peg adjusters. I had an eye strap on
the tiller, and hooked one of the Cunningham hooks into that strap.
The line then went outboard and aft, to go around the pushpit
stanchion, then across the boat (with the shock cord over (or under)
the tiller), around the other pushpit stanchion, and back to the eye
strap on the tiller. The tension on the line could be adjusted by
sliding the adjusting plates along the line.

If I couldn't get enough friction with that rig to hold the tiller, I
had two small ClamCleats on the coamings, just aft of the end of the
tiller. A 1/8" (or so) line with bowline could be looped over the
tiller and dropped in the windward ClamCleat to hold the tiller, and
would allow the tiller position to be easily adjusted.

My system would be very much like Bennets except I would not have any
camcleats or adjusting plates, instead would use the Prusik knots tied
around the shockcord to adjust tension on either side. Glad to hear
of other good ideas.