Jere Lull

Default Tiller control

Parallax wrote:

Have been considering some sort of tiller control for single handing.
This is in addition to an auto-pilot as often the AP isnt connected
and all you want to do is go forward for a few sec to clear a line or
something. A back issue of Practical Sailor had a review of several
tiller control systems such as the "Tillerlok", or "TillerTamer" and
others designed to keep teh tiller amidships. These all involved
something costly, complex, or cutting a hole in the boat for mounting.
Most of them held the tiller rigidly amisships which I dont think is
desired.

We have a Tiller Tamer in addition to our autopilot. It does what you
want quite nicely and only required two screw holes in the tiller; I tie
the lines to stanchions that are in approximately the right place. When
we're working upwind in shifty conditions, I'm as likely to use the
TillerTamer because it'll let us follow the shifts for minutes at a
time. (A more stable boat would have better results.) It'll "lock"
anywhere you want, not just admidships, BTW.

--
Jere Lull