NJL

Default Tiller control

Good point! I agree.
It just seems that every time I am forward to either douse the headsail
or change it, I am up into wind and small tiller changes make for
problems (like falling off and filling the genoa!). Some of this is
likely technique - I can always use suggestions on how to make life a
little easier when solo.
Thanks for the feedback.
Clark Little

Steve

One thing I wouldn't do to lock the tiller or wheel, is engage the autopilot
lock.

I use to do that on my last boat with wheel and AH4000 wheel pilot.

This damn near ran me on the rocks.. I was single handing in the San Juans
and after clear the marina docks I engaged the autopilot lever to lock the
wheel while I went forward to take in the fenders. Only gone a second, but
then, I was distracted by some other detail. What I didn't realize was the
autopilot wasn't in standby, some how it had a heading of about 90 degrees
to stbd in its brain. The AP turned the boats course toward a rocky shore.
Fortunately I glanced up form my distraction and was able to get back to the
wheel and disengage the AP and put the wheel hard over to port. In
retrospect, figure that when I powered up the cockpit elex. the pilot locked
in to automatic with the heading I was on at the dock. With the wheel lever
disengaged, the AP error wasn't appearent.

I never used the AP for a wheel brake/lock again. I really didn't need to
anyway, the wheel and a wheel brake build into the pedestal.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

This is a variation of what I've used. Other options for self-tending
include linking the jib sheet to shock cord as Eric Hiscock and Don
Street illustrated some 30 years or more ago.

R.

On 10 Oct 2003 14:02:02 -0700, (Parallax)
wrote:

Have been considering some sort of tiller control for single handing.
This is in addition to an auto-pilot as often the AP isnt connected
and all you want to do is go forward for a few sec to clear a line or
something. A back issue of Practical Sailor had a review of several
tiller control systems such as the "Tillerlok", or "TillerTamer" and
others designed to keep teh tiller amidships. These all involved
something costly, complex, or cutting a hole in the boat for mounting.
Most of them held the tiller rigidly amisships which I dont think is
desired.
What I propose is the following:

Obtain a 4-5" piece of shock cord. In its center, put a loopp to fit
tightly over the tiller so that it wont go very far down the tiller
without some force. On either side of the tiller, use a piece of 5/16
line to tie a Prusik knot around the shock cord (prusik knot is used
for mountain climbing and vertical caving. It wont slide down under
load unless "unloaded" by hand but can be easily re-positioned). The
other end of the 5/16 line has carabiners for attaching to your
slotted toerail or other place on either side aft of the loop around
the tiller.

When KNOT in use, one carabiner is taken off the toerail the central
loop is off the tiller and it is stowed to one side.

To use:
Slip the central loop over the tiller, stretch the other side with its
carabiner and put the carabiner on the toerail. With equal stretch on
either side, it keeps the tiller in the middle but allows you to
quickly shove it to either side against the pressure of the shock cord
if needed.

This also allows for some movement of the tiller instead of keeping it
solidly locked. It also allows you to adjust the pull on either side
by repositioning the prusik knot one either side to shorten the
effective shock cord length. This allows for a few moments of self
steering if you make sure you have a little weather helm and keep some
pull to windward on the tiller.