Steve

Default Tiller control

One thing I wouldn't do to lock the tiller or wheel, is engage the autopilot
lock.

I use to do that on my last boat with wheel and AH4000 wheel pilot.

This damn near ran me on the rocks.. I was single handing in the San Juans
and after clear the marina docks I engaged the autopilot lever to lock the
wheel while I went forward to take in the fenders. Only gone a second, but
then, I was distracted by some other detail. What I didn't realize was the
autopilot wasn't in standby, some how it had a heading of about 90 degrees
to stbd in its brain. The AP turned the boats course toward a rocky shore.
Fortunately I glanced up form my distraction and was able to get back to the
wheel and disengage the AP and put the wheel hard over to port. In
retrospect, figure that when I powered up the cockpit elex. the pilot locked
in to automatic with the heading I was on at the dock. With the wheel lever
disengaged, the AP error wasn't appearent.

I never used the AP for a wheel brake/lock again. I really didn't need to
anyway, the wheel and a wheel brake build into the pedestal.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions