Default Dreaming and the basics of how to start

"In my youth" I went half way around and back. At the helm a lot of
the way in a big USN way. "As I age" I wish to do it all the way
around. My wife and I will be in South Florida for vacation the week
of Christmas, and would like to look at ?catamarans? capable of a
circumnavigation. We would not be able to purchase before next fall,
hinging on the sale of everything we own to accomplish this dream.
Is there a polite way to view boats in the $100k to $150k range while
not feeling that we are taking advantage of some brokers time, or a
private individual's time, knowing that the boats we look at will have
been sold by then? (I also wonder if SO will be able to handle the
small quarters)

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

Looking for input, thank full for your time.

Frank and Gail.

(and is "Gail Wins" a bad name for a boat?)

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...

Woodsy wrote:
"In my youth" I went half way around and back. At the helm a lot of
the way in a big USN way. "As I age" I wish to do it all the way
around. My wife and I will be in South Florida for vacation the week
of Christmas, and would like to look at ?catamarans? capable of a
circumnavigation. We would not be able to purchase before next fall,
hinging on the sale of everything we own to accomplish this dream.
Is there a polite way to view boats in the $100k to $150k range while
not feeling that we are taking advantage of some brokers time, or a
private individual's time, knowing that the boats we look at will have
been sold by then? (I also wonder if SO will be able to handle the
small quarters)

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

There are no answers to the financial questions beyond the here and now.
Will Social Security be around in 5, 10, or 20 years? Will the
purchasing power of the dollar even remotely resemble its current level?
A $100k boat may hold its value far better than $100k in a bank.

The key issue, Frank, is whether you would go ahead with the venture
even if you thought the money wouldn't last. That makes it much easier
and probably more honest as well.

Looking for input, thank full for your time.

Frank and Gail.

(and is "Gail Wins" a bad name for a boat?)

How does Gail see that?

Good luck!

Chuck

Woodsy wrote in
:

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thou$and

The only thing I know of that's more expensive is a corporate jet....(c;

If you think sailing is cheap, drop by the sailmaker's shop and ask him how
much for a new mainsail for a (put your boat manufacturer/size here).

Larry
Some sailors are afraid to unfurl 'em until it's dead calm!...others not at
all!

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:12:52 -0500, chuck wrote:

Woodsy wrote:
[...]

$100k for 20 years is $416/month (no interest calc), seems slim and un
realistic. $2500 for 40 months more like it. We are just looking at
doing it "young" vs too old, perhaps, to enjoy it. If all went well,
retirement fund and SS and 401K is new boat (today's $) with no
worries about refit and fun, although the fun may be less!

The key issue, Frank, is whether you would go ahead with the venture
even if you thought the money wouldn't last. That makes it much easier
and probably more honest as well.

I want to, and the pressure from SO is mounting. I am a stick in the
mud! She is a short fuse of a redhead. I have traveled and had
adventures up till about 10 years ago, she has not. We planed, (well I
did) this at retirement with the farm to come back to if it got to
much, or health reasons, or just a good place to croak. Going now is
burnt bridges and no bailout other than to return to the work force at
an age where retirement should be in the sights.

Looking for input, thank full for your time.

Frank and Gail.

(and is "Gail Wins" a bad name for a boat?)

How does Gail see that?

It was her idea! (damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead)

Good luck!

Chuck

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:29:00 -0500, Larry wrote:

Woodsy wrote in
:

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thou$and

The only thing I know of that's more expensive is a corporate jet....(c;

If you think sailing is cheap, drop by the sailmaker's shop and ask him how
much for a new mainsail for a (put your boat manufacturer/size here).

That's what is bugging me, I do not see it lasting. 6 months of
constant research and dreaming and trying to see how to make it work
as an evening hobby, lurking here. $5k on rigging every 5 years at a
minimum? Hot glue and patches, run it till the mast comes off, then
jump in and swim? The time I spent in weight test and rigging, and the
sail loft may help, but also enforce the reality of what happens when
something goes wrong with said rigging!

That monster cat on yachtworld, a junk rig, watermaker, and a couple
of fishing poles! who needs all those fancy expensive accessories.

Larry
Some sailors are afraid to unfurl 'em until it's dead calm!...others not at
all!

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...

Frank,

There is a thread over on the Sailnet.com forum relevant to your questions.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...inancials.html

The thread sort of wanders around, as they tend to do, but does
eventually come back to the question. Also, I found it just plain
interesting and funny at times. I recommend it.

Howard

Woodsy wrote:
[...]

A month or two ago, Cruising World did an analysis of three ways to
cruise from frugal to luxo. I may be wrong, but that was also all
inclusive. Find and read that issue for all the info on probable costs.

There is NOTHING preventing you from doing small work to earn $$ on the
way. By doing little works you learn more about the communities you
visit than if you just tourist it. Some cruisers have skills they market
to other cruisers like if you are a reefer tech your future is MADE on
the water. Do not count on employment overseas, but it's easy in the US.
You can market your skills to cruisers anywhere.

Make it clear to the brokers that you are future buyers. Establish a
relationship with a broker who you learn to like and then when you are
ready to buy, contact that broker, say what you want, and make him part
of the deal. That way both of you are happy and you aren't exploiting
the guy now.

You will definitely want a broker on your side when you buy for a
variety of reasons I expect you know. If not, then repost.

-paul

Check out the following link, as it appears to have possible answers to your
questions, both in terms of expenses and type of boat. www.bumfuzzle.com

Paul Cassel wrote:
Woodsy wrote:
[...]

Another key issue is the extent to which you can/will do your own
maintenance work. Will you scrape the bottom, rebuild the head, install
the SSB, etc. or will you pay to have that work done? Sort of the
difference between a laid-back vacation and a scraped-knuckle lifestyle.
It might be good to actually do a big chunk of that work before
deciding. It's not so much rocket science as it is savvy. I know my own
life is probably a little shorter due to worrying (needlessly, it turned
out) while at sea that repairs I did weren't done quite the way they
should have been. In my case, that was probably the strongest argument
for having a pro do the work. Some folks will work so hard for
perfection that they never leave their slip: its easier.

Chuck

If you intend to live at a level above a wharf rat a $100,000 will last less
than three years. I'm a full time liveaboard cruiser and I have spent
$51,000 year to date just on basics and boat expenses I'm also paying for a
son at an expensive college. I worked hard and invested well years ago and
have an investment income in excess of what I spend annually.

I have a fully equipped 2003 Beneteau 473 sailboat with extensive navigation
and communication gear, water maker, genset, RIB, Satellite TV, Phone,
Internet. Some simple figures on an annual basis:

Twenty Year loan for boat (After over $125K down payment): $16,008

Annual Insurance agreed hull, with liveaboard coverage, extended cruising
area: $3,500

Health Insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield (Family coverage to include college
student son): $5,100

Fuel Charges (Average) @ $2.50 per gallon: 900 * 2.50 = $2,250

Annual Maintenance Budget( Zincs, Synthetic Oil, filters, bottom paint (Haul
out every 2 years): $1,500

Annual Repair Budget: $7,000

Mooring charges (60 days at $35) $2,100

Transient slip charges (30 days at $125): $3,750

That comes to $41,208 and you haven't eaten, bought clothes, rented a car,
taken a cab. . . . .nothing. Let's say you can eat for $100 a week. That
brings us up to $47,000.

I'll get off my soap box now but too many people think they can do this on
$100,000 for the rest of their life. If you only have two years to live then
you are correct. I also see a lot of people writing that "real cruisers"
don't go to marinas or get mooring balls - They anchor out!! I've done this
for eight years and I won't make any apologies, I live well. If it is rough,
hot, raining, high winds and/or lightening and I'm near a port with nice
floating docks and transportation to a good restaurant then that is where
I'm heading. That is what having a larger budget for doing this allows.
Forgive me but owning a large boat and sailing around the world for years is
not a God given right. First you have to work and earn enough to be able to
do this or have a job that allows you to work while you are cruising. You
can see the sunken derelicts all along the ICW and in many anchorages and
harbors around the world of people that tried to do this without sufficient
funds.

Cap'n Ric

S/V Sezaneh