Woodsy Woodsy is offline

Default Dreaming and the basics of how to start

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:29:00 -0500, Larry wrote:

Woodsy wrote in
:

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thou$and

The only thing I know of that's more expensive is a corporate jet....(c;

If you think sailing is cheap, drop by the sailmaker's shop and ask him how
much for a new mainsail for a (put your boat manufacturer/size here).

That's what is bugging me, I do not see it lasting. 6 months of
constant research and dreaming and trying to see how to make it work
as an evening hobby, lurking here. $5k on rigging every 5 years at a
minimum? Hot glue and patches, run it till the mast comes off, then
jump in and swim? The time I spent in weight test and rigging, and the
sail loft may help, but also enforce the reality of what happens when
something goes wrong with said rigging!

That monster cat on yachtworld, a junk rig, watermaker, and a couple
of fishing poles! who needs all those fancy expensive accessories.

Larry
Some sailors are afraid to unfurl 'em until it's dead calm!...others not at
all!

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...