Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default Dreaming and the basics of how to start

Woodsy wrote:
"In my youth" I went half way around and back. At the helm a lot of
the way in a big USN way. "As I age" I wish to do it all the way
around. My wife and I will be in South Florida for vacation the week
of Christmas, and would like to look at ?catamarans? capable of a
circumnavigation. We would not be able to purchase before next fall,
hinging on the sale of everything we own to accomplish this dream.
Is there a polite way to view boats in the $100k to $150k range while
not feeling that we are taking advantage of some brokers time, or a
private individual's time, knowing that the boats we look at will have
been sold by then? (I also wonder if SO will be able to handle the
small quarters)

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

Looking for input, thank full for your time.

A month or two ago, Cruising World did an analysis of three ways to
cruise from frugal to luxo. I may be wrong, but that was also all
inclusive. Find and read that issue for all the info on probable costs.

There is NOTHING preventing you from doing small work to earn $$ on the
way. By doing little works you learn more about the communities you
visit than if you just tourist it. Some cruisers have skills they market
to other cruisers like if you are a reefer tech your future is MADE on
the water. Do not count on employment overseas, but it's easy in the US.
You can market your skills to cruisers anywhere.

Make it clear to the brokers that you are future buyers. Establish a
relationship with a broker who you learn to like and then when you are
ready to buy, contact that broker, say what you want, and make him part
of the deal. That way both of you are happy and you aren't exploiting
the guy now.

You will definitely want a broker on your side when you buy for a
variety of reasons I expect you know. If not, then repost.

-paul