Cap'n Ric Cap'n Ric is offline

Default Dreaming and the basics of how to start

If you intend to live at a level above a wharf rat a $100,000 will last less
than three years. I'm a full time liveaboard cruiser and I have spent
$51,000 year to date just on basics and boat expenses I'm also paying for a
son at an expensive college. I worked hard and invested well years ago and
have an investment income in excess of what I spend annually.

I have a fully equipped 2003 Beneteau 473 sailboat with extensive navigation
and communication gear, water maker, genset, RIB, Satellite TV, Phone,
Internet. Some simple figures on an annual basis:

Twenty Year loan for boat (After over $125K down payment): $16,008

Annual Insurance agreed hull, with liveaboard coverage, extended cruising
area: $3,500

Health Insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield (Family coverage to include college
student son): $5,100

Fuel Charges (Average) @ $2.50 per gallon: 900 * 2.50 = $2,250

Annual Maintenance Budget( Zincs, Synthetic Oil, filters, bottom paint (Haul
out every 2 years): $1,500

Annual Repair Budget: $7,000

Mooring charges (60 days at $35) $2,100

Transient slip charges (30 days at $125): $3,750

That comes to $41,208 and you haven't eaten, bought clothes, rented a car,
taken a cab. . . . .nothing. Let's say you can eat for $100 a week. That
brings us up to $47,000.

I'll get off my soap box now but too many people think they can do this on
$100,000 for the rest of their life. If you only have two years to live then
you are correct. I also see a lot of people writing that "real cruisers"
don't go to marinas or get mooring balls - They anchor out!! I've done this
for eight years and I won't make any apologies, I live well. If it is rough,
hot, raining, high winds and/or lightening and I'm near a port with nice
floating docks and transportation to a good restaurant then that is where
I'm heading. That is what having a larger budget for doing this allows.
Forgive me but owning a large boat and sailing around the world for years is
not a God given right. First you have to work and earn enough to be able to
do this or have a job that allows you to work while you are cruising. You
can see the sunken derelicts all along the ICW and in many anchorages and
harbors around the world of people that tried to do this without sufficient
funds.

Cap'n Ric

S/V Sezaneh