Default Ascender/Descender instead of bosun's chair

Larry wrote:
snip...

It can even lift my heavy ass, right to the top, without a sweat!

Larry

Now that is impressive! :-)

On 11 Dec 2006 09:57:20 -0800, "
wrote:

Does rigging the tackle like this give you a 6:1 purchase __as you
ascend__? I think it does, but have had trouble convincing the crowd
around here.

Sounds like 4:1 to me.

Just count the number of lines supporting the load, that is the
purchase ratio. The tail counts as 1 in this case.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:20:54 -0600, "BarelyAwake"
wrote:

Thanks, guys, for your input. I had intended to use one of the halyards as
a safety belay. I've seen photos of men at the top of a mast, held by one
line and no backup. This seems foolish, especially considering that there
is always another halyard just sitting there, waiting to be used as a
backup. I like the idea having the harness or bosun's chair attached to a
primary winch serving as a method of descent. Attaching the bosun's chair
to one ascender and a loop for the feet to the other ascender seems like a
great idea for a lazy, middle-aged man like me! I'll give these methods a
try.

It works for a lazy, middle-aged man like me. Just stand up in the
loop and raise the upper ascender with the bosun's chair attached to
highest height where you can still sit down. Then sit and raise the
lower ascender with the loop maybe a foot (if you're lazy) or two (if
you're in a hurry) ... go at your own rate. Then stand up in the
raised loop and raise the chair again. Repeat as often as necessary.
Reverse to descend. I've found that since I have to raise the
ascender slightly to get it to unlock while descending, I have to make
more frequent and smaller moves on the way down. But I still wouldn't
use a descender.

Of course I'd rather have someone winch me up. But I frequently work
on a boat alone and have to make due with what I have.

I've used the same setup for climbing trees as well.

Steve

Steve inscribed in red ink for all to know:
wrote:

[...]

How do you get the line up in the tree to start with?

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

RW Salnick wrote:
:Steve inscribed in red ink for all to know:
: On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:20:54 -0600, "BarelyAwake"
: wrote:
:
:
[...]

Tie it to a squirel. Duh.

The normal way is to throw a line over a branch, pulling a heavier
line with that if required. Tall trees can be done in a series of
pitches, wher you first climb to one branch, and then throw a rope to
the next branch and climb there. There are also fairly safe ways to
climb a tree without a top rope. The first guy up attaches to top
rope, others follow by climbing that rope.

wrote:

[...]

Throw a weighted end a over a branch then let it fall all the way down
and tie it off to something sturdy, like another nearby tree. I don't
feel like hanging from a grappling hook. And I test it with some
really good jumps on the rope before climbing. Also check the rope
for chafing before using it.

Steve

Don White wrote in news:OEjfh.31607$cz.472034
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Larry wrote:
snip...

It can even lift my heavy ass, right to the top, without a sweat!

Larry

Now that is impressive! :-)

The neighbors can't figure out why it doesn't pitchpole with me on top....
(c;

Larry
--
Why is it, in any city, all traffic lights act as if they have rotary
timers in them, like they did in 1955, and are all set to create

RW Salnick wrote:
How do you get the line up in the tree to start with?

I do something like this to put long wire antennas up into trees for my
amateur radio. I use 40lb test spider wire (fishing line, walmart)
which I spool off on to the ground. Then I tie a metal nut (hardware
store) to the end of it and fire it up into a high tree with a
slingshot. The nut will fly as high as you dare, arc over, and come
back to the ground. Then I tie my wire antenna to the nut and pull it
up into the tree. You could do the same thing with climbing rope.
Works great so long as you do not get crazy and fire the line up too
high over a bunch of trees at once, which is easy to do with a
slingshot.

This all works even better if you have the fishling line on an actual
reel like you use on a fishing pole because the line does not have any
chance of getting tangled up like it can when spooling it out on the
ground. It is also easier to reel in your line after you have attached
the antenna to the end instead of winding it back on to the spool. But
I do not like to carry that reel while camping, and I am very careful
when spooling the line out on the ground that I do not tangle it, so I
do not use a reel.

purple_stars inscribed in red ink for all to know:
RW Salnick wrote:

[...]

That's great! Using an old/cheap spin casting reel loaded with light
fishing line, and a slingshot. Thanks for the idea!

bob
s/v Eolian Seattle
WA9BVE