purple_stars purple_stars is offline

Default Ascender/Descender instead of bosun's chair

RW Salnick wrote:
How do you get the line up in the tree to start with?

I do something like this to put long wire antennas up into trees for my
amateur radio. I use 40lb test spider wire (fishing line, walmart)
which I spool off on to the ground. Then I tie a metal nut (hardware
store) to the end of it and fire it up into a high tree with a
slingshot. The nut will fly as high as you dare, arc over, and come
back to the ground. Then I tie my wire antenna to the nut and pull it
up into the tree. You could do the same thing with climbing rope.
Works great so long as you do not get crazy and fire the line up too
high over a bunch of trees at once, which is easy to do with a
slingshot.

This all works even better if you have the fishling line on an actual
reel like you use on a fishing pole because the line does not have any
chance of getting tangled up like it can when spooling it out on the
ground. It is also easier to reel in your line after you have attached
the antenna to the end instead of winding it back on to the spool. But
I do not like to carry that reel while camping, and I am very careful
when spooling the line out on the ground that I do not tangle it, so I
do not use a reel.