Lee Martin Lee Martin is offline

Default Ascender/Descender instead of bosun's chair

"BarelyAwake" wrote in message
I was considering buying a pair of ascenders instead of a bosun's chair. I
went to the local outdoor place and the sales guy said that the ascenders
are not made for descending, that I should buy a descender to get back down
the mast. Why would an ascender not be appropriate in either direction?
Maybe a mountain climber might be able to descend faster with a descender,
but I can't see why I couldn't use the ascenders to get back down. Does
anyone have recommendations on specific hardware brands?
Thanks.

Ascendeurs are intended for ascent rather than descent, because of the way
the locking cam is designed. To slide the device on ascent, you release
pressure/load on the device, then slide it up the rope, then reinstating
the load automatically locks the cam. On descent, the operator must
physically click the cam to unlock, slide the device down, then unclick the
cam to allow it to lock again once load is placed upon it. Clearly, descent
is possible, but it is prone to operator error, much, much more so than
ascent.

It is important to recognise that use of ascendeurs is liable to operator
error, going up or down. For that reason, an additional rope to hold the
operator in case of a slip of ascendeur(s), or other failure of gear, is
vital in my opinion.

I sail singlehanded and want the safest possible arrangement for going
aloft, alone. I use a pair of ascendeurs, each on separate halyards. A third
rope, usually my climbing rope, is my backup: it passes through a Petzl
Grigri clipped to my harness. This is a cunning device that allows the rope
to pass easily one way, but locks the instant a load is placed on it.As I go
up, the rope passes through it, if I fall, or want to take a rest, placing
my weight on the device locks it. When I want to come down, I can use it as
a descendeur.....it has a lever which allows controlled release of the rope.
If the operator should let go of the release lever, the Grigri locks up
again. A few carabiners are required to make the whole arrangement work
properly.

A couple of my single handed mates have seen this arrangement, and have
promptly got their own.

Bosun's chairs have been around for a long while, however, as a climber, I
cringe when I see them being used alone to support the operator. I like to
see a backup rope, I like to see an arrangement where the operator cannot
fall backwards out of the chair and slip right out of it. If the operator is
being winched up by a deckhand, I like to see an arrangement whereby the
operator can rescue himself should the deckhand walk off and leave him, or
whatever.

As to brands, I think it comes to personal choice. I have used a few,
perhaps the Kong fits my big hands a bit better.

Whatever setup you go for, I recommend that you get an experienced climber
to run his/her eyes over it, if at all possible.

Lee Martin