Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Where is my impeller??

My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine. It is 2 years old and has about 240
hours on it. I figure it is time to change the impeller. I have had some
people tell me that the impeller on their boat was in the outdrive and some
said it was on the front of the engine. I do not know where mine is.

Does anyone know where it is and how difficult it is to replace it.

Thanks

Frank

Peter Bennett

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:29:53 -0400, "Frank Taylor, Jr."
wrote:

My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine. It is 2 years old and has about 240
hours on it. I figure it is time to change the impeller. I have had some
people tell me that the impeller on their boat was in the outdrive and some
said it was on the front of the engine. I do not know where mine is.

Does anyone know where it is and how difficult it is to replace it.

On my previous boat (Volvo AQ170 (Chev V6 in disguise) with 280 legs )
the raw water pump was on the front of the engine - easily accessible.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
bowgus

Just guessing but since it's an I/O you probably have a heat exchanger and
therefore an outdrive impeller to provide the cool water ... and that water
may even be cooling say the exhaust manifold?

"Messing In Boats" wrote in message
I have a 5.7 Mercruiser and recently found that I have pumps in the
lower leg and one at the rear of the engine. It's got freshwater cooling
and even though the one in the outdrive doesn't do anything, it has to
get water to it while the boat is running out of the water or it heats
up and bends a plate and ruins the seals in the outdrive. So when I have
the boat up and warm up the oil to change it, I have a hose going to the
sea water pump and the muffs going to the outdrive. Weird.

Merc.140 Impeller fails again after 5 seamiles Friedrich Schübeck General 1 June 26th 04 07:16 PM
Impeller help needed Camilo General 3 April 30th 04 09:05 AM
Very Old (Pre 1950 ?) Mercury Outboard Impeller Problem Phill General 3 November 20th 03 11:23 AM
Impeller replacement Paul General 3 September 22nd 03 02:29 PM
Where is the impeller?? Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 September 3rd 03 02:55 PM