Phill

Default Very Old (Pre 1950 ?) Mercury Outboard Impeller Problem

I have recently acquired an old Mercury Comet(Lightning)10hp outboard
motor. It was completely siezed when I got it, but I stripped it down,
and with a fair amount of brute force (hammer on piston rods!!) got it
turning again. To my surprize, when I put it back together it worked.
The only thing, I soon found out that the water pump impeller is worn
out. The serial number of the engine is 9279767, which I am told is
pre 1950. I am having problems getting a replacement impeller. Does
anyone know any mail order companies that could supply one. If the
original design is unavailable I was wondering if I could cut
down/modify a modern one. The diameter of the old funny looking
rubber impeller is about 29 mm, the drive shaft collar is 14 mm or
thereabouts, and the thickness is around 15 mm. I'd be very grateful
for any help or advice.

Phill
Bill Kiene

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Phill" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bill Kiene

Hi Phill,

Hopefully there is someone out there that can help you. They will probably
have to have gray hair.

The best old serious outboard repair shop in our town in California, USA,
won't even work on a Mercury outboard that is over 20 years old because they
have trouble getting parts for them.

Your motor is maybe 50 years old? You need a person that can fabricate or
modify something for you.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Phill" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Billgran

"Phill" wrote in message
om...

I have recently acquired an old Mercury Comet(Lightning)10hp outboard
motor. It was completely siezed when I got it, but I stripped it down,
and with a fair amount of brute force (hammer on piston rods!!) got it
turning again. To my surprize, when I put it back together it worked.
The only thing, I soon found out that the water pump impeller is worn
out. The serial number of the engine is 9279767, which I am told is
pre 1950. I am having problems getting a replacement impeller. Does
anyone know any mail order companies that could supply one.

The following sites specialize in old Mercury outboards. I will bet you can
find your impeller at one of these businesses.

Bill Grannis
service manager

http://www.vintageoutboard.com/

http://www.oldmercs.com/