Jon Harris

Default Mercury 200 Classic problem !

I was fishing with a friend over the weekend and his year old Mercury 200
classic (on a 25' Parker) was extremely erratic. We started out in humid
foggy condition and the motor would run fine for a minute or two ( 3100 )
then the rpm would drop to around 1800. Minor "nudges" on the throttle had
no effect - you had to open it all the way for the engine to increase rpm.
Sometimes the rpm dropped so much that the engine stalled. The problems
don't seem as severe in less humid conditions. The local Mercury dealer has
looked at the motor and pronounced "nothin wrong" but this thing has a
problem ! I've looked on the Mercury website hoping to find a "support page"
but no luck - only a couple of simple FAQ's. Has anyone else with a "200
Classic" had this problem ? Would appreciate any suggestions -
recommendations.

Tony Thomas

Chances are you have a fuel related problem. And chances are that is in
the carbs.
Remember, when running and you experience a problem like this, activate the
choke (which is actually a fuel bypass that pumps fuel directly past the
carbs). If the engine picks up you know you have a carb problem.
Since it does pick back up when you open the throttle - doubt you have a
fuel starvation problem related to tank vent, fuel pump, fuel bubble, etc.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Jon Harris" wrote in message
[...]

Is problem with O-Ring Seal or Valve Body Rural Knight General 10 December 7th 04 07:39 PM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
Still Trouble Shooting 1982 Mercury V-6 Bob La Londe General 0 July 20th 03 03:33 AM
Trouble shooting Mercury 1882 150 V-8 Bob La Londe General 9 July 18th 03 11:26 PM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From ElectricalBox? David Wolfenbarger General 0 July 17th 03 02:51 AM