Garland Gray II

Default Johnson outboard problem

I have a late 1980's model 60hp Johnson ob (on an 18' boat) with a problem
that I hope someone can help me make sense of.

It was running fine at the end of the season, but wasn't charging the
battery, so over the winter I took it to a shop that determined the
rectifier was bad. They replaced the rectifier, which corrected the charging
problem, but then the engine wouldn't open up under a load--well before the
boat could get on a plane, the motor would bog down and die. Using the
"neutral throttle" the motor would rev up like normal.

Back to the same shop, where they said the carbs needed to be rebuilt, which
they did. Back in the water, same story, engine bogs down under a load. But
then I noticed a ringing rattle under the cover, and found the flywheel nut
loose; I could remove it with my fingers.

Back to the shop, and now they say the shifter is not able to open the
throttle when in gear. They put on a new shifter, but it has made no
difference, it still bogs down.

I believe coincidences are rare. My suspicion is that when they worked on
the charging problem, they removed the flywheel (am I correct to assume this
would be done?) and never tightened it afterwards. Would a loose flywheel
cause the problem I've experienced? Could running with the flywheel loose
damage the fit where it can't be tightened properly, and the problem
continues? I suppose they could have screwed up the carbs when they put kits
in, but the performance of the engine didn't change any so I don't think
that's it.

Am I off base here? Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Leanne

I believe coincidences are rare. My suspicion is that when they worked on
the charging problem, they removed the flywheel (am I correct to assume this
would be done?) and never tightened it afterwards. Would a loose flywheel
cause the problem I've experienced? Could running with the flywheel loose
damage the fit where it can't be tightened properly, and the problem
continues?

If the flywheel was loose enough, there is a possibility that it wasn't seated
in the keyway. The flywheel could cause the engine to be out of time. If so it
would or could be retarded enough to not get full power.

Leanne

ReevesJ32

But
then I noticed a ringing rattle under the cover, and found the flywheel nut
loose; I could remove it with my fingers.

Obviously you have people working on your engine that know very little of its
technical aspects, and are costing you money.

The loose flywheel nut will cause the flywheel key to shear which would throw
the engine out of time. Remove the flywheel and check that key. If sheared,
you'll no doubt need to clean up the crankshaft and flywheel tapers, install a
new key, then torque the flywheel nut to exactly 105 foot pounds. Any less
torque.... the key will absolutely shear!

The rectifier is not under the flywheel. It would be on the starboard side of
the engine. It's a barrel shaped dome about 1" high with a triangular shaped
base which is attached to a bracket with two small different size bolts. It
will have three (3) wires, a Red wire, Yellow wire, and a yellow/gray wire
(some do not have the yellow/gray wire but rather have two (2) yellow wires).

Bogging out when throttle is applied is usually caused by one (or both) of two
things. Clogged carburetors or a sticking timer base under the flywheel when
throttle is applied. Even if the carbs were cleaned by your present
"mechanics", from what you've said, I wouldn't have any faith in their
rebuilding capabilities.

The timer base sticking..... with the engine NOT running, spin the prop and put
the engine into forward gear. Have someone else slowly apply the throttle up to
full throttle while you watch the timer base. It should smoothly advance up to
the black rubber stop cap on the end of the full spark advance stop screw.

NOTE.... Visit www.maxrules.com which is the MasterTech website. Go to the
Evinrude/Johnson forum to list your problems. Be sure to list the model number
of your engine when you do so that we can determine exactly what engine you
have.

Joe Reeves (30+ Years With OMC)
Jere Lull

Garland Gray II wrote:

[...]

Coincidences can happen.... But I don't think that the charging problem
is related to the rough running.

More likely of coincidence is that your gas got bad over the winter,
which gummed up the carbs and fuel filter(s) along the way and caused
the rough running. Bogging down is either lack of fuel, bad timing
advance, or bad wires (in order of likelihood). The loose flywheel is
sometimes a sign of less than adequate maintenance, which could be
another coincidence, part of the cause or an effect of the real cause.
The flywheel nut is there only to keep the flywheel from flying off. If
it's on the shaft, the key's probably in the keyways and keeping the
timing close enough to right.

--
Jere Lull

Guy Noir - private eye

[...]

If the flywheel nut was loose, I'm surprised that the flywheel key did not
shear. Be sure and check that the keyway is not damaged.

Garland Gray II

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on this matter. I wanted to make sure
my suspicions were not unreasonable.
This weekend I'll take a close look at the flywheel, etc.

Garland Gray II

Thanks Joe, I'll try to get that info tomorrow.
Would there be any possible reason to remove the flywheel to trouble shoot
the charging problem?

[...]

ReevesJ32

Would there be any possible reason to remove the flywheel to trouble shoot
the charging problem?

The stator under the flywheel, the circular component, is the beginning of the
charging system and also the ignition system.

When the charging system is faulty, it's a good idea to remove the flywheel so
that the stator can be inspected visually for cracks etc.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)
Garland Gray II

Thanks; then it would be a logical explanation for the flywheel nut to be
loose.
You have been a great help.
Garland

"ReevesJ32" wrote in message
Would there be any possible reason to remove the flywheel to trouble

shoot
the charging problem?

The stator under the flywheel, the circular component, is the beginning of

the
charging system and also the ignition system.

When the charging system is faulty, it's a good idea to remove the

flywheel so
that the stator can be inspected visually for cracks etc.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

Removing lower unit from 40 hp Johnson outboard - Help? Brian Silver General 9 September 29th 03 06:17 PM
Newbie Q - old Johnson 40 problem Booms General 6 September 20th 03 02:15 PM
what just happened? outboard problem Clams Canino General 6 August 20th 03 01:25 AM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
Johnson 70 outboard. Smoke at idle MrDiesel General 13 July 13th 03 10:03 PM