Paul

Default Impeller replacement

I replaced the raw water pump impeller today on my 2000 Volvo 4.3
liter Gi engine. The engine has about 70 hours on it. I'd been fishing
in shallow water and may have trimmed the engine up a little too much
while it was idling. Anyway, when I pulled the old impeller I wasn't
confident I'd gotten all the pieces. It was trashed. I back flushed
the thermostat housing with all hoses run to the bilge and I got a
little more debris out. The engine ran fine with the new impeller with
the temperature was rock steady, the exhaust manifolds warm to the
touch after 15 minutes, and the pump housing nice and cool.

My question is should I be worried about the missing pieces and what
else can (or should) I do to look for them? The inlets to the exhaust
manifolds are fairly small and they aren't pluged. There was no debris
in the circ pump hoses.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks,

Paul
Clams Canino

It's a dice roll really. Impeller parts *have been known* to clog cooling
passages and the damn things have the 1/2 life of a twinkie. Doesn't mean
yours are/were big enough to make trouble......but..........

-W

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
[...]

akheel

(Paul) wrote in
om:

[...]

I have the same engine and the same thing happened to me. Pull the
thermostat housing. I found several pieces stuck up there. Pull the
thermostate as well and check under it. R & R will only take you about an
hour at most and is good insurace. By the way, its tricky getting the T-
stat out. There's a rubber retaining ring that's hard to see. Use
something that looks like a dentist's pick and carefully insert it into the
groove and get behind the ring and pull it out. I have a full manual and it
didn't mention the rubber ring and I couldn't see it, even though I
suspected something like that had to be there. I had to take the t-stat
housing to local parts shop who took all of 5 seconds to do it as I watched
and felt stupid.
basskisser

"Clams Canino" wrote in message news:dxubb.545606$uu5.90962@sccrnsc04...
It's a dice roll really. Impeller parts *have been known* to clog cooling
passages and the damn things have the 1/2 life of a twinkie.

Really? I never would have thought that an impellor would last 47 years!!!!!!