Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Where is the impeller??

My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine. It is 2 years old and has about 240
hours on it. I figure it is time to change the impeller. I have had some
people tell me that the impeller on their boat was in the outdrive and some
said it was on the front of the engine. I do not know where mine is.

Does anyone know where it is and how difficult it is to replace it.

Thanks

Frank

JohnH

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:29:17 -0400, "Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote:

My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine. It is 2 years old and has about 240
hours on it. I figure it is time to change the impeller. I have had some
people tell me that the impeller on their boat was in the outdrive and some
said it was on the front of the engine. I do not know where mine is.

Does anyone know where it is and how difficult it is to replace it.

Thanks

Frank

There is one in the outdrive that sends cooling water to the engine. I try to
replace mine every three or four seasons (about every 150 hours). There is also
a circulating pump on the front of the engine (at least there is on my
Mercruiser). That pump may have an impeller in it, I don't know.

If you have a lot of mechanical ability, can manhandle your outdrive by
yourself, and have a book to help you out, you can probably do it.

Good luck.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Billgran

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message
My boat has a 5.7 Volvo Penta engine. It is 2 years old and has about 240
hours on it. I figure it is time to change the impeller. I have had some
people tell me that the impeller on their boat was in the outdrive and

some
said it was on the front of the engine. I do not know where mine is.

Does anyone know where it is and how difficult it is to replace it.

Depending on your model number, the raw water pump is on the cranshaft
pulley of the engine or right next to the pulley connected by a short
V-belt. There is no impeller in the outdrive on your unit. Either type of
pump is easy to service as long as the boat builder left adequate access to
the firont and/or stb. side of the motor. A factory service manual should be
your first purchase.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Billgran

"stephane marcoux" wrote in message
. ..
Your engine had 2 water pump.

The first one in under the cover of the stern drive. You can remove the
cover and you gone have access to the wather pump. This is a rubber pump
that you must inspect every year. This pump provide water from the lake to
cool your engine and exhaust system.

Volvo Penta never had water pump impellers in the outdrive. You are getting
mixed up with older OMC Cobra drives which had the impeller under the back
cover.

Bill Grannis
service manager