Rick

Default West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

Back in the old days West Marine had great prices. Maybe not the lowest but
a good price and available now.

Over the last 5 years their prices have skyrocketed and I am a little hard
pressed buying from them. Its my understanding that contractor prices are
50% or more off (except electronics). I have also heard that employees get
good discounts also.

Alan Gomes

wrote in message
ups.com...

snip
sounds like West Marine and Guitar Center are cut fromt he same mould.

Gross!

Wayne.B

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:30:39 -0500, "Rick"
wrote:

Its my understanding that contractor prices are
50% or more off (except electronics).

Here in SWFL the contractor discount is about 35%.

I have also heard that employees get
good discounts also.

Not sure about the employee discount but it is probably comparable to
the contractor's %. Several employees have told me they work there
primarily for the benefits package.

sherwindu

OK Dave. You get the nit picker award of the year. Anything to deviate from
the
real issues to impress us with your command of the English language.

Sherwin D.

Dave wrote:

On 19 Jun 2006 15:50:07 -0700, said:

Big conglomerates, like Guitar Center.

sounds like West Marine and Guitar Center are cut fromt he same mould.

one sells Boating Supplies.

One sells Guitar's

otherwise, they both fit this thread......

As I suspected--a classic example of empty-headed blathering of buzzwords
with no knowledge of that the words mean. I'd suggest a quick search of the
term "conglomerate."

Well. seeing that West Marien owns (or is owned by) Port Supply, and
bought out E&B Marine (which is still functional) and lord knows who
else is involved.

I'd say that West Marine is a "conglomerate" if not part of one....

Dave wrote:
As I suspected--a classic example of empty-headed blathering of buzzwords
with no knowledge of that the words mean. I'd suggest a quick search of the
term "conglomerate."

sherwindu

Bill Kearney wrote:

You want local chandleries but expect them to compete against online
pricing?

My gripe against West Marine is their generally higher prices, say

compared to
what I can find online.

Take the time to print it out and they'll often price match.

The big conglomerates like West Marine seems to
have forced out all the competition.

Is it the conglomerates or unrealistic shopper expectations?

No, it's the lack of competition allowing them to charge whatever they want.
Why should I have to bargain with them by showing ads for items at lower
prices.
I prefer buying in a store where I can see the merchandise. My expectations
are
that there should be a reasonable mark up on merchandise. Also, although
West
has a pretty good selection of boating products, there are things which they
don't
carry. When you are stuck at your slip in need of a part, you don't want to
wait
several days for a shipment. There is no guarantee that having other stores
around
would help you find those items, but it increases the probability that you
will.
How would you feel if there was only one chain of auto supply stores in
your
state? There would be a big outcry, because we need our cars more than we
do
our boats.

Sherwin D.

-Bill Kearney

Richard J Kinch

Wayne.B writes:

Here in SWFL the contractor discount is about 35%.

What qualifies you as a "contractor" for this discount? Volume? Resale
certificate? Storefront? Fictitious name? Just ask?
Bill Kearney

... or unrealistic shopper expectations?

No, it's the lack of competition allowing them to charge whatever they

want.

Lack of competition due to whose fault?

Why should I have to bargain with them by showing ads for items at lower
prices.

As the sayings go; Nothing for nothing, and If you don't ask you don't get.

I prefer buying in a store where I can see the merchandise. My

expectations
are that there should be a reasonable mark up on merchandise.

On a boat? Reasonable? Surely you're kidding.

Alan Gomes

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well. seeing that West Marien owns (or is owned by) Port Supply, and
bought out E&B Marine (which is still functional) and lord knows who
else is involved.

I'd say that West Marine is a "conglomerate" if not part of one....

These are all part of the same field, and so I don't think the word
"conglomerate" would apply.

--AG