Default West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

sherwindu wrote:
And you must be one of those stockholders licking his chops from all the profits you
get from screwing those boaters.

Dave wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 23:08:56 -0500, sherwindu said:

In our economy, you can't depend
on the good will of these companies to keep prices down. They are in business to
make the biggest profit they can get from the customer.

What an odd notion--trying to maximize profits for shareholders.

Dave's a lawyer. He licks his chops at the opportunity to s*rew anyone.
krj krj is offline

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 06:59:17 -0400, Wayne.B
said:

There is plenty of competition.

I don't think so. Certainly nowhere near as much as there was in the 70s.

Within a 2 mile area we have West Marine, Boat Owners Warehouse, Boaters
World, Sailorman, and Lewis Marine. All have almost the same items at
the same prices. Wheres the competition?

There's no competition requirement per se for a free-market condition.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"sherwindu" wrote in message
If it were truely a free market, we would have some competition, wouldn't
we?

"Wayne.B" wrote:

On 6 Jul 2006 09:15:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

What an odd notion--trying to maximize profits for shareholders.

Must be some sort of free market communist conspiracy... :-)

"Alan Gomes" wrote in
:

We do. (My new, non-West Marine halyard should be arriving any day
now....)

Same is true for car parts:
1996 Chevy Caprice Classic, 4.3L V-8, fuel rail pressure regulator:

Chevy dealer in town, AC-Delco part $163.
Advance Auto "discount" parts store $68 (aftermarket cheapie)
AutoZone $72 (aftermarket cheapie)

rockauto.com from a Google search
ACDELCO 217365 (217-365) (Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator)
$ 42.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 42.89

Shipping $ 4.58
Order Total $ 47.47

I love competition, myself. Car no longer hesitates when you try to drive
it 10 mph through the neighborhood.....PRICELESS.

Searching Google for boat parts ISN'T a crime, either. I checked!

Dave wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 01:16:28 -0500, sherwindu said:

And you must be one of those stockholders licking his chops from all the profits you
get from screwing those boaters.

Well, sounds like certain regions have some competition. Here in the lower end of
Lake Michigan, we basically only have West (one other store many miles from the
lake - Boaters World).

Unfortunately, no. I'd like to see some competition also. I was most happy
to see Boaters' World open up a new store right across the highway from the
new West facility here. But railing against the concept that someone in
business is trying to maximize profits is just plain silly.

Common now, what business in the USA is not trying to maximize profits? It's
the American way. Why do you think business's spend loads on market surveys
to find out what they can charge.

Buying supplies on the internet is a two-edged sword. While it does
constrain the ability of the major chains to raise prices, it also reduces
the incentive for new competitors to go into business.

There is still a place for local stores. Whenever possible, I like to see what I am
buying. Also, when I need a part quickly to be able to take my boat
out, I can't wait for an Internet delivery. There is also a question of selection.
West
has a decent inventory, but more often than not, I can't find what I'm looking for.
Having
more stores out there gives me a better chance of finding things. I would be happier
if
West cut down on their clothing items to make more room for boat hardware. There is
big profit in clothing, so I don't think we will see that soon.

Sherwin