BoatBanter.com

-   -   West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/70791-west-marine-worst-store-what.html)

Thomas Wentworth June 16th 06 02:18 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

Yesterday afternoon I stopped at a West Marine Store .. have you been to one
of these stores lately? The help ( wait,, I just typed "help" ,, there want
no "help" ) walk around with ear plugs, talking into a mike as if they were
police at a crime scene. And what do they say to each other?

"John, do we carry anchors"? ... "John, what is a GPS"? ..... "John, there
is a guy here looking for a piece of hardware, what is hardware"?

I kid you not. It is laugh a minute nuts.

But the best part is the check-out lady. She carries on a conversation with
herself as she tries to figure out how to ring up sales.

"Come on computer, I know this is right, it didn't do this yesterday, what
am I doing wrong ,,, please swipe your card again and again and again ,,
where did you find that thing ,,, I hope they turn off the GPS that is
talking to me ,,, oh well, do you have cash".

I asked one clerk to show me a GPS handheld unit. He was busy talking into
the secret microphone. Then he looked up and said "I don't know anything
about these things, and John is busy trying to turn off the security alarm
so it might be awhile before you get any help".

HELP?

West Marine ,,, pass at your own risk

Roger Long June 16th 06 02:31 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

Why do you need to go into a marine supply store?

The West Marine Portland is quite good but there is a better and
cheaper store called Hamilton Marine down on the waterfront. Locally
owned and more oriented to commercial vessels but good selection of
sailboat stuff. I only go to WM when I can't find what I need at
Hamilton.

The store you were in does sound weird though. Which one is it so we
can avoid it?

Oops, I forgot, revealing which city you are in might open you up to
identity theft and abduction by aliens:)

--

Roger Long

Wayne.B June 16th 06 04:00 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

On 16 Jun 2006 09:35:01 -0500, Dave wrote:

It varies a lot from store to store.

Very true, and also from day to day depending on who is on duty. Our
local store is pretty good for the most part with a lot of serious
boaters on the staff, with good solid cruising and/or fishing
experience.

Prices are not the best but convenience and service are first rate.

Wayne.B June 16th 06 04:05 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:31:57 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

The store you were in does sound weird though. Which one is it so we
can avoid it?

Oops, I forgot, revealing which city you are in might open you up to
identity theft and abduction by aliens:)

The aliens are headed for Manchester as we speak...

Gordon Wedman June 16th 06 04:40 PM

[...]

Its been said that the majority of people who respond to online talk shows
are people who have something to complain about. Happy people just sit back
and relax.
So here is a good news story about West Marine. A few years ago I purchased
a Xantrex 20 amp charger from them (it was Statpower in those days). I used
it one season. Next summer it works for 1 month and quits. I take it back
to them and they say they will get it checked out. Well it took a couple of
weeks but they gave me a brand new charger, an updated version.

Ed June 16th 06 05:11 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

we have 6 stores in broward county and WOW do they differ from store to
store. We have some AMAZING tallent in some stores... sailors who work
9 mos and sail for 3 (+-) There are also the summer students who can't
spell BOTE....

Roger Long June 16th 06 05:25 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

Cool. If I see an imaginary boat in the harbor, I'll be able to say,
"I know who owns that one!". Oh, no I won't because you won't tell us
your real name. I know, I'll pretend I know who owns it:)

--

Roger Long

Capt. JG June 16th 06 06:08 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:18:51 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
said:

Yesterday afternoon I stopped at a West Marine Store .. have you been to
one
of these stores lately?

It varies a lot from store to store. I've found that generally those that
still have some of the old BoatUS people around tend to be better.

There are a couple around here that are pretty good, with knowledgeable
people. Others I've been in have been terribly uninformed. The staff per
store varies quite a bit also.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. JG June 16th 06 06:10 PM

West Marine ,, is that the worst store or what

I had an experience like that with a GPS. I had it for several years.
Finally, a friend drowned it. I brought it back to the WM (not the one I
bought it from, with no receipt). I told them that since this one drowned, I
was in the market for a new one and what did he recommend. He said, "it
drowned?" And, then he gave me a brand new one, the latest model (those
days) for no charge. He didn't even want the dead one.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com