nobody

Default West Marine is Terrible

They have driven out almost all their competition with drastic price
reductions. ONce that is accomplished they raise their prices to a
level much higher than anyone charged prior to their dominance.

They only stock what moves quickly. They stock nothing for the
convenience of their customers. If they can not turn it around for a
big profit in very short time they will not stock it.

They suppress innovation in the industry because they will not stock
newly invented or innovative products. They will not stock anything
new unless they are certain there are people waiting to snatch the
product off their shelves.

Their pricing is predatory. When I am in South Florida where some
competition remains I regularly note that every other dealer sells the
same product for less money than they do.

They really the "K-Mart" of the marine industry. I was pleased when
they first appeared but I now wish I had never heard the name.

I have never owned a Marine supply store. I hold no stock in any
marine supply business. I have never even known anyone who owned a
marine supply store. I just think that West Marine is really a lousy
outfit.

You shareholders, employees (no idea how they treat their employees),
and defenders just fire away because I, for one, will drive an hour
out of my way to buy from any other store. Unfortunately I only able
to do so in south Florida. Elsewhere they have destroyed the
competition.

Gary

nobody wrote:
They have driven out almost all their competition with drastic price
reductions. ONce that is accomplished they raise their prices to a
level much higher than anyone charged prior to their dominance.

It's called cannibal marketing, pioneered by Starbucks I think.

They only stock what moves quickly. They stock nothing for the
convenience of their customers. If they can not turn it around for a
big profit in very short time they will not stock it.

That's called capitalism.

They suppress innovation in the industry because they will not stock
newly invented or innovative products. They will not stock anything
new unless they are certain there are people waiting to snatch the
product off their shelves.

Their pricing is predatory. When I am in South Florida where some
competition remains I regularly note that every other dealer sells the
same product for less money than they do.

They really the "K-Mart" of the marine industry. I was pleased when
they first appeared but I now wish I had never heard the name.

Not Kmart. Starbucks.

I have never owned a Marine supply store. I hold no stock in any
marine supply business. I have never even known anyone who owned a
marine supply store. I just think that West Marine is really a lousy
outfit.

You shareholders, employees (no idea how they treat their employees),
and defenders just fire away because I, for one, will drive an hour
out of my way to buy from any other store. Unfortunately I only able
to do so in south Florida. Elsewhere they have destroyed the
competition.

I'm with ya!
Gaz

Larry

nobody wrote in
:

You shareholders, employees (no idea how they treat their employees),
and defenders just fire away because I, for one, will drive an hour
out of my way to buy from any other store. Unfortunately I only able
to do so in south Florida. Elsewhere they have destroyed the
competition.

What I always find amusing at Waste Marine is how really CHEAP the stuff
is made. God, a bilge blower really shouldn't be made in China in the
same factory that makes hand fans, should it? Except for the name-brand
sailing rigging an a few other items, any RV dealer has better quality
stuff!

I think calling it a K-mart is being too nice....K-mart doesn't sell 12V
plastic fans for $130....

Danny

I used to sell my little product through them. I found them to be ruthless
to their suppliers. If you shipped late, they fine you. If you ship early,
they fine you. If you ship too many items in an order, you guessed it, they
fine you! And they keep the overages.
They get terrific margins on many lines and rarely pass them on to the
consumer. I suspect that Wal-Mart took notes on them. I had their Port
Supply Card which is suppose to be for wholesalers. Frequently the
shelf/discounted price was LOWER than the alleged discount offered to
wholesalers. It's a wacky company.

I buy from the little guy every chance I get. It's the only protest I have.

"nobody" wrote in message
[...]

MMC

Saw it coming when they bought out BoatUS. Maybe some competition would
help?
I only use WM as a back up when the other WM doesn't have what I need!
"nobody" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

Do what I do... get a price quote on the web then either buy it there,
or take it into West Marine where they will price match. I went into
sticker shock awhile back when I went in to buy a bottle of 3M's
Finesse-it clear coat polish. $50!!!!!!!! plus tax! I bought it on the
web from an automotive supply for $25, including freight.

Bob Cross

For several years I worked for two locally owned Marine Supply Stores. We
prided ourselves in boating knowledge and service. Many times we could get
obsolete and hard to find parts for our customers and personal service was a
hallmark. Lots of special orders, special attention and a wealth of marine
know-how.

Unfortunately when West Marine cameto town our customer base vanished
overnight..based on price alone ..and most could care less about the
knowledge and service we provided. Both stores closed up. I guess you get
what you wish for. When I hear folks gripe about West Marine I remember
back when...Just some thoughts on how we all got ourselves in this mess.
"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do what I do... get a price quote on the web then either buy it there,
or take it into West Marine where they will price match. I went into
sticker shock awhile back when I went in to buy a bottle of 3M's
Finesse-it clear coat polish. $50!!!!!!!! plus tax! I bought it on the
web from an automotive supply for $25, including freight.

Jonathan W.

Bob Cross wrote:
For several years I worked for two locally owned Marine Supply Stores. We
prided ourselves in boating knowledge and service. Many times we could get
obsolete and hard to find parts for our customers and personal service was a
hallmark. Lots of special orders, special attention and a wealth of marine
know-how.

Unfortunately when West Marine cameto town our customer base vanished
overnight..based on price alone ..and most could care less about the
knowledge and service we provided. Both stores closed up. I guess you get
what you wish for. When I hear folks gripe about West Marine I remember
back when...Just some thoughts on how we all got ourselves in this mess.
"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...

Do what I do... get a price quote on the web then either buy it there,
or take it into West Marine where they will price match. I went into
sticker shock awhile back when I went in to buy a bottle of 3M's
Finesse-it clear coat polish. $50!!!!!!!! plus tax! I bought it on the
web from an automotive supply for $25, including freight.

I've had that experience. As a kid (in my teens) I worked in my
stepfathers hardware store in Eatontown, NJ. " B.D. Wolcott's Sons, Farm
and Garden suppliers since 1891" We knew what we sold and gave
countless lectures on "how to do this or that". It was satisfying work.
People would walk in the store with an object in their hand and a
puzzled look on their face. "I need one of these" and we would sell it
or order it.

When the home centers started coming in, the mantra became, "I've looked
everywhere, but I knew that you'd have this (widget)." But along the
way they left most of their money at the home centers.

We used to sell a marine line of paint and cordage, just to keep the
post boating centric

Working on Ocean Planet last year I came to appreciate Hamilton Marine,
in Maine. They have a good assortment and prices seemed reasonable. They
have a web presence.

Jonathan

--
I am building my daughter an Argie 10 sailing dinghy, check it out:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonsailr
Lauri Tarkkonen

In Dave writes:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:25:36 GMT, "Bob Cross"
said:

For several years I worked for two locally owned Marine Supply Stores. We
prided ourselves in boating knowledge and service. Many times we could get
obsolete and hard to find parts for our customers and personal service was a
hallmark. Lots of special orders, special attention and a wealth of marine
know-how.

Unfortunately when West Marine cameto town our customer base vanished
overnight..based on price alone ..and most could care less about the
knowledge and service we provided. Both stores closed up. I guess you get
what you wish for. When I hear folks gripe about West Marine I remember
back when...Just some thoughts on how we all got ourselves in this mess.

This has been a problem for single-store retailers for at least 50-75 years.
I remember my father talking about it. And my grandfather. Not the marine
business, but same principle.

People in many cases gat what they want to pay for, but unfortunately
they do not understand it themselves. Good service is something most
people notice only when it is absent.

- Lauri Tarkkonen