Danny

Default West Marine is Terrible

I hope somebody at WM reads this string. It perfectly represents the public
sentiment I've heard around the marina for some time now.

Until they change, we can vote with our purchasing power and letters. I save
all the business I can for Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Great physical store
AND online store. Price is never an issue and the staff knows "stuff."

"nobody" wrote in message
They have driven out almost all their competition with drastic price
reductions. ONce that is accomplished they raise their prices to a
level much higher than anyone charged prior to their dominance.

They only stock what moves quickly. They stock nothing for the
convenience of their customers. If they can not turn it around for a
big profit in very short time they will not stock it.

They suppress innovation in the industry because they will not stock
newly invented or innovative products. They will not stock anything
new unless they are certain there are people waiting to snatch the
product off their shelves.

Their pricing is predatory. When I am in South Florida where some
competition remains I regularly note that every other dealer sells the
same product for less money than they do.

They really the "K-Mart" of the marine industry. I was pleased when
they first appeared but I now wish I had never heard the name.

I have never owned a Marine supply store. I hold no stock in any
marine supply business. I have never even known anyone who owned a
marine supply store. I just think that West Marine is really a lousy
outfit.

You shareholders, employees (no idea how they treat their employees),
and defenders just fire away because I, for one, will drive an hour
out of my way to buy from any other store. Unfortunately I only able
to do so in south Florida. Elsewhere they have destroyed the
competition.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:12:11 GMT, "MMC" wrote:

And I swear, if the bag had a picture of a car instead of a boat on it the
thing would cost $9.95.

All kidding aside, some of this stuff is available at RV stores, for
less of course.

R.W. Behan

Absolutely agree with the sentiments expressed here. I'd rather do without
than buy from West Marine, or fix it with duct tape, or sell the boat, or
sink it: ANYTHING to avoid buying from West Marine. Someone mentioned
Fisheries Supply in Seattle, and I'd certainly endorse that outlet, too.
But my favorite online chandlery is Go2Marine. By their own admission, this
is a bunch old broken-down Alaskan fishermen, but migod do they know the
business. They'll suggest the BEST alternative, even if it's lower in
price, or even--believe it or not--if some other retailer stocks it. Great
guys to work with, typically the lowest price for standard items (not quite
always), courteous and quick service. First rate. Check the website:

http://www.go2marine.com/main.jsp

(No, I don't own any stock in the company, don't know personally any of the
staff. Just the testimony of a very satisfied customer. AND THEY AIN'T
WEST MARINE!)

Dick B.
MV "Annie"

"nobody" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Loewenstein

Yeah, I've starting using Hamilton for various items via mail order. Never had a problem
and when I've had to talk to someone to find out about the part I was looking for, I was
happy to get the information I needed (they called me back).

Bob
Gordon Wedman

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article , Leanne
wrote:

snip, snip

It was an interesting experience. There were some people who worked
there who had a vast amount of experience, others were strictly retail
clerks with no experience other than ringing up stuff. I don't claim
to have vast experience, but I think 30+ years of sailing counts for
something. :-)

At our local store most of the sales people are part-timers, either
semi-retired boaters or students. I think the only full time person is the
store manager. Not enough business, especially in winter, to have more full
time staff.
I think the level of service and expertise shown by the staff must vary a
lot from location to location and I don't really think its entirely fair to
complain about this. You have to assume they hire the best qualified local
people that apply for the job. Same thing for the store manager's attitude
toward customers.
My local independent chandler has some dim bulbs working for him and some
very helpful guys. It pays to get to know whom you need to speak to so I
wouldn't necessarily make a final judgement based on 1 visit.

Capt. JG

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you're right of course. I've had good experiences in other stores,
notably the Sausalito store.

I would not go quite that far about hiring the best local people. What they
tend to do is hire people to do the unloading, which means early morning
hours typically. Then, after several weeks, they graduate to working in the
store during the day. Some of the assistant managers came up this way, which
might not be a bad things, but some of them are not that bright.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

R.W. Behan

You know, folks, on the basis of all this testimony, it occurs to me West
Marine is offering us a fantastic investment potential here. I'm going to
call my broker and short the hell out of its stock. LMAO.

"nobody" wrote in message
[...]

Skip Gundlach

Interesting... when I owned my own boat a while ago, I signed up for
some part time work at the local WM, so that I could get the employee
discount for my project.

So, how much is the employee discount? What sort of bennies, if any ?

L8R

Skip, rehabbing to be able to continue to refit until my shoulder's finished
and we leave

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Skip Gundlach

"Danny" wrote in message
I hope somebody at WM reads this string. It perfectly represents the public
sentiment I've heard around the marina for some time now.

Until they change, we can vote with our purchasing power and letters. I
save
all the business I can for Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Great physical
store
AND online store. Price is never an issue and the staff knows "stuff."

Is that the same one with the circular blue-ish logo which had by far the
most expensive prices when I was searching various high-ticket items
recently??

If so, "price is never an issue" means, pay the price, cuz they're good
guys, or something else?

And, not a West fan, but, if they'll match prices, if you just check, aren't
they, then, the lowest price available, and right in your backyard
(metaphorically speaking, of course - if you're in a marine area)?

L8R

Skip

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at gmail dotcom wrote in message
Interesting... when I owned my own boat a while ago, I signed up for
some part time work at the local WM, so that I could get the employee
discount for my project.

So, how much is the employee discount? What sort of bennies, if any ?

L8R

Skip, rehabbing to be able to continue to refit until my shoulder's
finished and we leave

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

It's been a while now, but it was significant. Other than that, there were
no benefits.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com